1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing Line Down the Straight

Discussion in 'General' started by talber8, Nov 1, 2010.

1. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

Why do riders take a line down a long straight that isn't just the exit of a turn, almost like a weave in. Consider the last turn to be in the same direction as turn 1.

Example:
    Estoril at the last GP. Riders come out of Parabolica, a right hand turn and come in near the inside of track before weaving back out to enter turn 1, another right. Isn't that jsut adding distance? Almost looked like it cost Simoncelli 3rd place.

I've seen it on racing video games too as the 'suggested ideal line' but never quite understood why

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Helps you set up for the turn at the end of the straight better.

3. talber8

why though? Because you are basically going from the outside, to the inside, back to the outside.

4. Putter

It also can be used to break the draft.

5. meanseeds

meanseeds Well-Known Member

maybe being pointed left allows you to lean right sooner? doesn't sound like it would help though o_O

6. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

And corner really LOW....:D

7. Putter

It's kinda hard to explain I guess. Have you raced before? (not trying to be an ass at all). It "flows" better.

8. talber8

I was wondering that too but on a whole train of riders they all took that same line, including riders who would have been far enough back to not get any effect fromt he draft.

9. Putter

Once the first guy moves everyone is gonna have to follow like dominoes to stay in the draft.

10. talber8

AM LW's... maybe I'm too slow to quite get it

11. Putter

And will an actual fast guy help me out here? :D

12. Putter

Trust me dude. You can't possibly be slower than me.

13. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I'm not fast by any stretch, but I'd think what you're describing has a sense of 'strategery' about it...and stuff.

14. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

If they don't get over to the inside of the track, what's the point of having a pit board when they can't see it?

15. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Makes it harder for someone to go up the inside of you if you're already on the inside?

16. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

It helps block wind if it's coming from there too.

17. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Because if you enter the turn at the end of the straight on the inside line then you'll either go way wide on exit (and get passed) or you'll have to brake harder before turn-in, meaning the other guy will have more speed in the corner unless you block his line. It's not just about getting to the corners, it's about getting through and out of them as fast as possible. In other words, you're making the straight away less straight to make the corner more straight because it pays off bigger over the a whole lap.

18. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

I do it sometimes....has to do with braking. WHy would you do that for braking?? I bet you can figure it out

19. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

:stupid:

"Squaring off the turns"

The faster you go through the turns the wider you will push exiting, staying wide will set you up for the next turn. The straight is the same distance from one end to the other, inside or outside, you will make it longer if you cut it diagonally, exit wide, stay wide, exit mid track stay mid and drift wide to square off next right hander.

20. RCM78

RCM78 Well-Known Member

The bike accelerates faster on the side of the tire.