racer insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by fzr51v, May 9, 2002.

1. fzr51v

fzr51v Active Member

just was informed by my insurance co. that I am not covered while racing or practicing. Anyone have a line on some sort of supplimental policy to cover my ass while @ the track?:confused:

2. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Is this an individual or part of a group (company) policy?

A fair number of individual policies have riders against "dangerous" activities. Motorcycles are one of them. The bulk of the group policies do not. It's all a matter of the risk vs. the income.

Either which way, if you have a copy of your policy read through it. I'm talkin' cover to cover. Make sure the Insurance company isn't trying to pull one on you.

[edited to include: ]

Caveat: I am talking about health insurance. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2002
  3. Which insurance wouldn't cover racing? Your work insurance or your bike insurance? I've heard of one co-company that Farm Bureau works with I guess, that would cover the bike while at home and while on a trailer. Your home insurance won't cover the bike if it's in the garage and the house catchs on fire. From what I was told anyway that home or renters insurance don't cover anything will wheels that is a gasoline powered engine. Different insurance companies maybe different though too. I don't know of any regular auto or motorcycle insurance companies that will cover you while on a track period! If you find one let me know but I'm sure if you do the price is very very expensive. I carry regular full coverage on my bike, but I won't claim any wrecks on the track to them I'll just do like everyone else and fix the bike and go on. Personally, I think it's safer to ride on the track then on the street anyway. Shoot I've quit riding on the street. Sure since we don't have any speed limits lol we have a better chance of wrecking, but at the same time I think there are less variables on the track then on the street! I've had my run in with a guard rail on the street, I'll take that run off in the corners over them guard rails on the street!!

4. Charcoal-Pit-Racing

Charcoal-Pit-Racing Well-Known Member

Not to bum anyone out but... since we are talking about insurance I thought that I would mention my recent crash at VIR has currently reached $56,000.00 in medical costs. And there will be more to come. If anyone here is racing without medical insurance please think about this.

5. Dude $56,000. Man sorry to hear that. Hope you things go well for ya. Hard to be positive in that situation huh! Yah insurance is pretty important. I looked into my insurance at work to make sure it didn't have any stipulations in it.

6. fzr51v

fzr51v Active Member

medical coverage in case of a crash is what I need to find....anyone? I have a health policy already but it excludes coverage when I am racing or practicing. Surely there is some company selling this type of insurance. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

7. ScottG

ScottG Well-Known Member

Armour Insurance

Look at the AMA webstie..

Armour Insurance is a supplement to your exsisting insurance ...but they might offer something more.

web address http://www.ama-cycle.org/insuranc.html

8. Blonde Ambition Racer

Blonde Ambition Racer Well-Known Member

Re: Armour Insurance

That's all well and good, IF you're participating in an AMA event, not a WERA or other organization's event. :rolleyes:

9. fzr51v

fzr51v Active Member

10. RAPTOR10

RAPTOR10 A Predator Near you......

Blonde Ambition Racer, I read the criteria for the insurance. I think that we WERA racers would be covered. We are part of the AMA now, and it does mention amaturer competition under the requirements for insurance.

The other requirement is that you must be a member of the AMA. As in a member.

Unless somebody else knows a little more about the insurance, I think that we will be covered. I would call, but I am still offshore so I do not have direct access to a phone only the pc, but I cannot visit any secure sites due to the servers security settings. So if somebody could call and ask, that would be great.

11. Blonde Ambition Racer

Blonde Ambition Racer Well-Known Member

Since when is WERA part of the AMA?

Where is Mongo when you need him?

WERA does have $5k supplemental insurance, I believe, but other than that, you're on your own.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WERA is definitely not part of the AMA as fas as the insurance stuff goes. We do have the 5k as a supplement to your helath insurance but we aren't set up to offer any health insurance like the AMA has. Amateur competition in their case is sanctioned events, we can't do AMA sanctioning without requiring an AMA membership for all of our members and we're not willing to do that.

13. RAPTOR10

RAPTOR10 A Predator Near you......

Sorry Mongo, thanks for the clarification on that.

14. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

I'll tell ya right now, most supplemental health policies will have this kind of exclusion. It's just kinda the way the game works. They (insurance companies) have to balance to potential risk of loss (claims) against the potential income (premium). People who get supplemental health are generally either:

1.) Getting it just in case.
    2.) Involved in a very high risk activity (motorcycle racing, jumping out of/flying airplanes, etc...)

Obviously, if a company writes a ton of supplemental health with folks from cat #2, they're going to lose their shirts. So they don't.

Your best bet for medical coverage while racing is to get your insurance through your employer. Group policies generally do not have any major extra exclusions like the one you're dealing with. Generally. There's always an exception to the rule...

Disclaimer: I'm not a licensed insurance agent. Everything I just said above is my opinion, not stated fact.

I do work for a company, however, that has several good agents and products in Texas. Drop me an e-mail if you want. I'm not sure of we can help you but it doesn't hurt to take a look, eh?