1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race body repair

Discussion in 'Tech' started by OldGuyOnBlu, Oct 17, 2009.

1. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

Is there some secret sauce or technique to use to maintain the flexibility of race bodies when you repair them with glass?
    Mine have always stiffened up significantly, leading to more extensive damage the next time I went down. The Sharkskinz on the new race bike have only been down once with a couple of holes in the lower and I'd like to keep them as flexible as possible.
    Thanks.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yes. Less resin than cloth. Also make sure to get a high quality resin.

3. Wes07

Wes07 Well-Known Member

Also as little bondo As possible.

4. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

dont go down :up:

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Bondo and typical hardware-store/boat-shop fiberglass resins are polyester resins, which cure to be very hard and brittle. Bodywork factories use epoxy resins, which are much less brittle and much stronger, but more expensive. It can be worth it to use the good stuff when you're doing repairs however. Use as little resin as possible.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Having done some extensive research and reading on this very subject over the last 10 days I have some to 2 conclussions.

1. Use only epoxy resins. They take longer to cure but remain more flexible.

2. Vacuum bagging with the appropriate peel ply and batting material to soak up excess resin are the keys to making parts and repairs void free with a good cloth to resin ratio.

7. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

Yes and don't use a half inch of resin on the seat pan :up: