R6 Tanks. How to you gut the neck.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cajun636, Nov 24, 2015.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Well I'm not sure what engineering moron came up with THIS shit, but he is an idiot. But on a bike I picked up the little plate with the holes inside the neck of the tank have been cut out. I can't figure out for the life of me how they did it. I but this one like this and the previous owner didn't do it.

Any ideas?

2. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Got any pictures of what you are referring to?

3. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Yea.....got to be the biggest PIA with a R6

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I'll get some later. But it's the thing the fuel nozzle slides into. if you are at a gas station. If your doing it at home with your regular jug, good luck becaue that shit is going everywhere.

5. Chango

Chango Something clever!

It's been a long time since I had an R6, but will the "plate" come out if you remove the gas cap assembly and replace it with some keyless eBay crap? If so, you could remove it, then hacksaw it.

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I used a Dremel and a cutting wheel. The piece you're describing is shaped basically like a bucket with a hole in the bottom. The sides of the bucket (or wall of the cage, maybe more accurately) is welded pretty securely to the tank mouth all the way around. In addition, it's steel - so you won't be able to punch through it very easily with a screwdriver.

Drain the tank, remove the pump, LET IT SIT AND DRY AND VAPORS DISPEL, then use a cutting wheel to slice the cage off as near to the junction of the tank wall as you're comfortable. There is nothing important welded *directly* to the other side of the cage, but there are important vent pieces that route *near* it, so be careful with the cutting wheel - don't stick it all the way through, keep the wheel positioned so that the outer edge of the wheel just barely cuts through the outside of the cage. Take a look at it in good light from the pump hole and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Once you've got the cage cut off, then use a magnet, a roll of white paper towels, and dabs of gasoline or mineral spirits on said paper towels, to get ALL of the shavings (steeldust?) out of the tank before you reinstall the pump. Stay on top of your fuel filter's maintenance for the first few tankfulls afterward just for sanity's sake.

7. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

40mm (1 5/8 in. ?) hole saw.

8. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Sounds like tophyr has got your answer right there. No need for the pics at this point I just didn't know what you were describing in the first post.

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Pain in the ass for sure my super tenere has that stupid ass plate in it with a few holes. Everytime I try to add gas from a can it ends up all over the place due to it. :mad:

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What the hell is the purpose of having one of those stupid little cages in there. I noticed something similar when I was gassing up my buddy's CBR250R. Quite happy that Suzuki doesn't see fit to add that crap into the tank.

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Not sure I think its some Cali bullshit and they just making them for all of them.

12. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Another way to do it is to take a safety wire drill bit and drill holes in it, then use a small chisel to 'cut' it out. I'm not sure why people cut them out, but that's up to them...

13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Not sure why?? I'll get you a pic in a bit then and that should be explanation enough.

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Oh they do. I had to do the exact same to a 2012 GSXR 600.

15. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

So what you're saying is you want to be able to put more fuel in it faster... you know this doesn't end well for you, right?

16. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You can save yourself all the dust and grit cleanup time if you use a small sharp chisel and work your way around the plate, then use a sanding roll to deburr with positive pressure applied through the fuel pump hole or a shop vac near the tool to evacuate most of the dust. If you're careful with the chisel, there's not much to deburr. If you do cut or make metal chips, take the fuel pump out first. I've done it dozens of times, and cutting is just a mess, but the holesaw is best if you do.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

... my "not so fancy" method is a hammer, 3' screwdriver, and "BAM-BAM-BAM"..

done.
    no pieces to get out, no dust, just a bigger opening :)

opened up pretty big, can easily get a VP fuel funnel or any gas gan hose in there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  18. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

US EPA. It is designed to try and keep idiots from over filling their tanks at the gas station and setting themselves on fire. Remember these things are sold en mass to people who really should not own anything this dangerous.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

My dad has a metal punch, with variable size circular pieces that pull one side against the other, pulling it through the metal. He used it on all four R6s we've had. No cutting, no grinding, no sparks, no mess. Well, I guess technically it's cutting.

I think it's made by Greenlee.

20. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

The tools referred to above are common electricians tools for punching holes in electrical panels. Available at any big home box store. I've always just has a cheap piece of pvc stuffed into the end of the gas can hose. It fits right into the existing hole and even has a $0.10 cap that snugs on nicely. It lasts longer than the hose and can does to the effects of ethanol.