1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 not starting after crash

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rpm894, Nov 7, 2021.

1. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I've been trying all day to get my R6 running after a crash at Pitt a few weeks ago. I had to get surgery on my broken wrist, so I'm just now able to start kind of messing with the bike. I was going to wait until after winter, but I can't sit around while the bike needs fixed. I'm not having any luck with it. If you have any suggestions or ideas of things to check, that would be great.

First, the most important part, the crash:

It is a 2019 R6 built by Huey / Marietta Motorsports that I bought off the original owner on here like a month before I balled it up. It was really well built, but I'm not familiar with the bike and all the wiring. It has a flashed ecu, FTecu quickshifter, Yamaha R1 CCU, and it looks like he took out all the unnecessary stuff like kickstand switch, ABS, emission stuff, and ignition. So there is non-factory wiring involved that I don't fully understand.

What it is doing: when I hit the run switch, everything seems fine (no check engine light and fuel pump primes). When in gear, the relay clicks when pulling in clutch, so I think the starter relay is fine. I put a new battery in it today. It cranks when I hit the starter, but it just turns over or does a little sputtering. A little bit of white smoke will come out of the exhaust sometimes when holding the starter, and the headers get a little warm, so I think it is getting some spark and fuel.

I tried starting it with an ignition coil disconnected and it threw a CEL when I tried starting it, so it appears that the CEL system is working. I thought the ecu flash might override that and not show if there was an issue, but apparently not. If there is no CEL, then I guess there is no reason to get an OBD tool to scan it?

The fuel pump made a weird sound the first time or two that I turned it on (not the normal priming sound), so I pulled the fuel hose off the tank. When I turned the ignition on, the pump shot a lot of fuel out when it primed, so it seems like the fuel pump is working (it took a good hit on the tank). One thing that seemed odd is the fuel that came out had a gray tint like it was dirty. No idea what that could be because nothing got into the tank during the crash.

I checked all the electrical connections and fuses that I could find. No issues that I could see. The wires to the coils looked fine. I disconnected the FTecu quick shifter and the Yamaha CCU to try eliminating possible sources of problems. No luck. The gauge cluster did still show the light indicating that the quick shifter was attached, but I assume that is caused by the ecu flash.

The bike landed on the subframe hard and broke the metal and everything else to pieces. That is where the ECU is located. Is there a chance the ECU took too much of a jolt and went bad? It stayed in the bike and looks physically fine.

With the the ignition on, there is a very faint high pitched constant noise coming from the area in front of and below the gas tank. I thought it was the fuel pump, but I moved the tank, and it is coming from somewhere else. It is like the noise a lithium battery makes on a charger. The sound might have been there before, but I can't remember if I started hearing it before or after the crash. I didn't hit my head, but they did give me some good drugs after surgery.

2. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

What’s up with this grey gas? Maybe dump it into a white bucket to see what it looked like and put in fresh new gas that did not tumble around the tank.

3. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

It was the fuel pump. The impact caused the two plastic halves of the shell that goes around the pump to partially separate. It was pumping some fuel but apparently not with enough pressure. Runs fine now.

MachineR1 and Ducati89 like this.
  4. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

The noise you hear is probably the throttle bodies.

I'd remove the fuel pump and make sure that something hasn't came off inside the tank with the crash.