R6 Cooling system help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tittys04, May 14, 2014.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

can you have to drop the engine? might be easier than trying to finesse it around the frame.

do you have the service manual or can you print off the engine tear down/assembly portion? the pictures and diagrams when I took apart my SV were super useful.

2. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

yeah, I've got the manual. I was planning to drop the engine tonight. was going to give it to a local builder but he's booked solid. My other options are long drives... I'd almost rather do it myself than deal with having to make a bunch of trips back and forth.

3. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

The .45mm YEC gasket is two layer. So, there is no middle layer. I guess what I am trying to say is that this works on the .50 and .55 only, because they are 3 layer.

4. tittys04

I've looked all over the freaking manual, can you guys confirm which cylinder is #1? I'm thinking it's rider's left, but I can't seem to find it in the manual anywhere.

5. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

In cars it's always the closest to the crank pulley, so maybe the closest to the stator?

I know, I'm no help. :D

A quick search of a few forums yielded the same answer, FWIW.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  6. tittys04

I couldn't even find it on this forum, let alone any others... my google-foo is weak tonight.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Rider's left.

8. tittys04

Thank you Rick.

9. tittys04

I pulled the head. I'm having a hard time finding where the bad part on the gasket is though. When I had head gaskets go bad on my Duramax, you could see where the gasket failed so I expected to see it on this one. Is it possible the exhaust is finding its way through the layers of gasket or something? Maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it, like it's not as obvious as the Duramax or something...