1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 changing coolant without bike running?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rpm894, Nov 5, 2021.

1. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I have a 2019 r6 that is stored outside under a cover in Virginia. It has water wetter in it, so I need to replace with antifreeze for the winter. Easy, normally. The issue is I crashed a few weekends ago and had to get surgery on broken wrist. The bike is not starting, and I'm not really up to trying to get it running right now with one usable hand.

I can drain the coolant in the radiator, but the engine side of the cooling system is going to be blocked by the thermostat. Normally you warm it up to flush the entire system, but I can't do that since I can't get it started.

Does any one have any idea how I might flush or replace the entire system? Would unscrewing the thermostat cover on the left side work?

Thanks

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can use a compressor airline at the cap to evac the whole system with the drain open. Then just fill with glycol or leave empty.

3. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Will that evac the entire system though? Maybe the pressure opens the thermostat?

I might be misunderstanding how the cooling system works; I thought there are two "sides" that are separated by the thermostat: the radiator/water pump side and the engine side. When the coolant gets to temperature, the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to move through both sides. Essentially, the coolant in the engine is not circulating until the bike gets warm and is sealed off when the thermostat is closed. So opening the drain and the radiator will therefore only empty one part of the system.

4. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Typically the thermostat will have a small hole to allow a small amount of coolant to circulate before it actually opens, but mainly (I think) to allow air to be escape when you refill.

TurboBlew and Wheel Bearing like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the drain is at the lowest point so the thermostat is irrelevant other than purging air out when refilling

6. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I've been looking over the piping and coolant flow in the service manual, and I can't find anywhere in the system that is sealed off by the thermostat. It looks like it acts as a wall that eventually opens to improve flow, but it does not close off the engine from connecting to the drain.

Thanks for the help.