1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Those With Multiple Track Bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by MotoGP69, May 13, 2021.

1. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I shopping for a second bike and QS/Autoblipper are on my wish list. Am I going to get used to that and f-up my other bike, or will my brain be able to handle swapping back and forth? I’ve avoided converting to a race pattern out of similar fear. What’s your experience?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You might as well budget for the QS for the original bike now. :D

3. MotoGP69

Thought about that. QS is available for my current bike, but no blipper.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

and put them both on GP-shift

Gixxerguy855 and sheepofblue like this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Everyone's different... I had no issues going from GP to regular shifting on different bikes (though I now have GP on the street bike as I prefer it). I'd go QS and GP on both bikes for starters.

MotoGP69 likes this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

For real fun go from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke.

Sabre699, dobr24, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just because I love this memory - Kurt Hall going back to back from a 1340cc or bigger GSXR to a TZ250 and flying on both of em... Along with winning the 600, 750, and 1100 Suzuki Cup races that GNF.

rd400racer likes this.
  8. MotoGP69

I have a KTM dirty bike for that. :beer:

rd400racer likes this.
  9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I've never had a issue with it

MotoGP69 likes this.
  10. Your brain will adjust.

Ive race bikes back-to-back where one had a Slipper Clutch and one didnt, or one had a QS and one didnt, or one had Autoblip and one didnt. Hell I raced one that was GP Shift and one that was STD Shift back to back for a little while.

It is sorta how you have to ride a 1000, a 600, and a Mini differently. Different markers, lines, braking points, etc. The same applies to shifting. Your mind will adjust and know "I ride this bike like this, and that bike like that".

Just work hard in practice, going hard from the out lap. Whether you blip, work the clutch lever, whatever...it will all get built into your "routine" for each bike and each corner, along with the braking markers, turn-in points, throttle application points, etc. Then when you swap bikes, your mind will make the transition immediately.

MotoGP69 likes this.
  11. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue going back and forth from GP to standard shift unless it's in the heat of battle. Then my brain reverts back to GP shift. And if I'm on a bike that's standard shift... 5th gear might come out of the exhaust pipe

SuddenBraking and MotoGP69 like this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a well placed sticker reminds me of the shift pattern. (and the corner worker as well )

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Oooohhh look at you Mr Fancy Sticker Guy. :D I used a piece of masking tape.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a GSXR 750 with a QS, no blipper and GP shift. My GSXR 1000R has the full works, also GP. Both have been tuned...HOWEVER...When I tuned the 750 I forgot to ask to have it default to A (ie race) mode. So when I light it off I'm in rain mode. I get a half lap into it wondering what the hell is wrong with this dog before I remember to put it in A mode. Happens at least once a week-end. Now I put a BIG tape on the triples "A MODE DUMMY".
    PS, street bikes are standard shift, no problem.

15. TurboBlew

nothing Dripping Wet or Pop Shadow fancy... but I hopped on 2 of my bikes one weekend completely oblivious they were standard shift. That was kind of embarrassing to discover. :D

16. TurboBlew

nothing Dripping Wet or Pop Shadow fancy... but I hopped on 2 of my bikes one weekend completely oblivious they were standard shift. That was kind of embarrassing to discover. :D

17. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

For me the real test came when put in a high stress position during a race, which method came to my head first, the standard or GP shift? After that I stuck with GP full time.

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

BSA with right side shift immediately followed in back-to-back races by SV with left side shift. You'll only get it wrong once . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

dobr24 likes this.
  19. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

You need two, if one breaks you've got a spare.;)

83BSA likes this.
  20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I raced one weekend at Grattan with all possible shift patterns. My sprint bike was GP shift left side. Our endurance bike was standard shift left side. One f the vintage bikes I borrowed was a 650 Triumph with GP shift right side and the other vintage bike was a 750 Triumph with standard shift right side. I only tried to downshift with the brake pedal once. I think I podiumed on each of them.

Gorilla George and 83BSA like this.