1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Fork Tools...

Discussion in 'General' started by McGixxer, May 9, 2013.

1. McGixxer

McGixxer Well-Known Member

I want to learn to, and be able to rebuild my own forks. If I have the tools I know I can figure it out, but I just wanted to make sure I have the right tools before I attempt it.

What tools do I need?

And are there any tools that make the job much easier or nicer to do? I have a 2007 GSXR1000 and a 2007 GSXR600

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

There will be about 3 people in here you should listen to. I ain't one of em.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Fork spring compressor, dampening rod extensions and a seal driver.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Yup, rebuilding is the easy part.

its the valving, shimming, stacking, adjusting thats whats sooo difficult.

You can easily "tune" your laptimes away by SECONDS if you do it wrong:)

If you are ONLY doing GSXR forks, then you wont need as many tools.

If you are considering different brands, options, then you will need more tools.

Of course, this is something you could have texted me:)

Dork

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Fork spring compressor (I like the RT one mounted to a bench), a wash tank, a good set of dial calipers, a good bench vise with various soft jaw inserts, a tool to bleed the cartridge once it's installed (RT and Traxxion both make nice ones), a fork oil height tool (the RT is the nicest out there), Motion Pro fork seal drivers (by far, the nicest available), a cartridge holding tool (RT), a quality set of long hex sockets. Different cartridge kits will require some specialty tools like an Ohlins cap tool or a Traxxion cap tool and either the specialty tools to hold the cartridges or a thin set of box wrenches.

Oh, and to know what you're doing.

6. Robby-Bobby

Furthermore, until YOU, learn a great deal more about suspension and how everything works, I would stick to changing tires and normal repairs.

I cant tell ya how many times I have seen guys adjust themselves right out of the ballpark:/

But some companies actually do offer suspension seminars whcih could benefit you greatly.

7. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I'm ok with doing all other maintenance on a motorcycle, but I leave suspension to the experts. Don't have the time or patience to deal with it and it's one of few things that is worth paying a premium for someone else to do.

8. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

If you just want to service your forks (clean them) you need a spring compressor, vice, soft jaws for the vice (make them out of wood), rebound rod puller, and a clamp for the rebound rod. If you have aftermarket cartridges you might need one or two extra tools like special clamps.

Getting to the shims and valves is just taking everything apart (no big deal) and changing them but I gotta have the kit with the instructions.

9. Robby-Bobby

I have a fork/bicycle bench mount setup made by Park. Its awesome cause you can clamp the fork, turn it 360 degrees etc....

10. metricdevilmoto

Taking apart the cartridge (including the shims and valves) should be part of a fork service. Most of the particulate and trashed fluid is inside the cartridge. Pump and dump services basically just refresh the fluid bath which immediately becomes contaminated once it mixes with the old fluid in the cartridge.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

This is very good advice. You might be amazed how many times you find damaged/corroded shims in the stack, and how much dirt is between the shims.

12. What he said. I did a revalve job myself using a RaceTech kit, and accidently tightened the shim stack just a little bit too much, which mildly deformed one of the shims. Found out about it when I realized that I was losing lots of time whenever I tried to turn left :(

Paid a pro to fix it, and ended up with a bike that handled wonderfully.

13. metricdevilmoto

Most of the forks that I get coming into the shop in boxes is because someone made a mess out of a RT Gold Valve kit install. And unless the shade tree guy is going to face those pistons before they install them, the chances of them working well are fairly slim.

Along the same lines, a lot of the setups I do trackside are to "fix" the perfect sag numbers someone set their bikes up with after watching one too many YouTube videos.

Oh, and the difference between left and right was in your head. Once the axle is through the forks, they operate as one unit, for better or for worse.

14. metricdevilmoto

Or jammed into the rebound needle. Or the piston fluid ports.