1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA- remove your plates from sold vehicles!

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, May 17, 2021.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah, we all know you shouldn't let a buyer drive off with your old plate when you sell...but sometimes you try to be nice. DON'T!
    Sold my Sprinter to a nice kid from NJ, he and a friend came all the way to Columbus to pick it up with cash in hand. I foolishly let him talk me into driving home with my plate on it with the promise that he would remove it ASAP. The tag had already expired, so I wasn't too worried about it. A few weeks later I start getting the first of many bills from NY/NJ tolls. He was very apologetic and took care of them. All was quiet for a while, but I just got yet another bill for a NY toll. Here's the fun part- it's been A YEAR AND A HALF since he's owned the van!
    Sorry, blaming Covid for not being able to get the registration taken care of isn't a valid excuse any more. It's been so long that he's not in my text history on my current phone, all I have is a first name. He hasn't been on the BBS for over a year it appears. If you happen to know who I'm talking about let him know to reach out to me. 2006 long/tall Sprinter, maroon with silver graphics

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Report plate as stolen. Time for this kid to grow up and be a big boy.

ToofPic, scottn, OldSchlPunk and 3 others like this.
  3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thats not how it works and youre just wasting Police time and effort if youre not going to prosecute.

Report it as missing. The Police will confiscate it once they come into contact with it.

MachineR1 likes this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Tristan

sent you a text.

M

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I sold a 900RR to a guy that never transferred it into his name, so when I went to renew my tags on other bikes they said I owed a years tax on the RR. I informed the woman that I sold it a year ago and have no clue what happened to the bike or buyer. She said easy, sign this paper here stating it was totaled in a wreck...it took me off the tax records and made it to where he could never get the bike registered. Dick move maybe but fuck him, if he hadn't transferred it within a year he sure as hell wasn't going to anytime soon.

6. Tristan

It gets better! The guy that bought it from me has sold it again... I obtained his info and sent him a text. Things will escalate quickly if not resolved soon.

sheepofblue likes this.
  7. Tristan

Thanks Sir

Ducti89 likes this.
  8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Call dmv and cancel the plate

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yep. Sold a car to a local around here about 26 years ago. Didn't know him, but seemed OK. I got his name, and DL#. I let him keep the plate to drive it home and he was going to send the plates back or drop them off.
    I saw the car about 6 weeks later (a bright blue Dodge Shadow 2 door with aftermarket wheels was pretty easy to spot :D). Chased him down and got the plates back. At least he did get new plates for it, but lesson learned for sure.

Go to he DMV and get a temp tag or bring a trailer when you are purchasing a vehicle from me, 2 or 4 wheels. I would also meet you at the DMV to complete the sale and you can get your temp tag / plate on the spot.

10. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

Maybe other states are different but in North Dakota on the back of your registration card there is some information that you fill out and and you give the card to the person who buys your vehicle. It basically gives them a 30 day grace period till they can get it registered in their name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Does North Dakota keep the tags with the vehicle? The states they're all in do not, the tags stay with the individual registered owner.

12. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

No, everybody involved gets new plates. The seller can request to the dmv to put their old plates on a new vehicle if they wish.

13. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Stuff like this is why I never sell anything.

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I had a guy begging me to use my plates to drive home after I sold him a truck. Fuck you don't buy the vehicle then. It's legal to drive the vehicle home or to the DMV with a freshly signed / dated title in hand. He still bought it but literally got shitty with me. Dude the plates are in MY NAME not yours.

15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

People who "need" the plates have other issues, like a warrant or a pocket full of dope etc.

Gorilla George, scottn and jdaniel like this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shit...you left out stupid.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

WAY back Michigan the plates went with the car. My brother sold one and they did not re-register it. A month later there is a fatal car wreck with only one survivor and the cops show up at our door step. Thankfully he had a copy of the receipt as they were claiming he was there and fled for a little while. After a couple of visits Dad put his foot in it and said you have seen the receipt it was not his car and don't come back on this again.

18. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Not sure about your states, but we leave the plate on for the new owner. However, attached to the title is a "release of liability" form. Now its online and takes 2 minutes to fill out. Me and the new owner sit at my computer and we both fill it out together after money exchanged. It releases my interest in the vehicle and if this guy goes and gets into a high speed chase or whatever, his info is now in the system tied to that vehicle.

Never heard of keeping the plate when you sell a vehicle in California. But that release of liability form is so important for shit like this.

racerx13 likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

In FL... that does bupkiss. Even when you apply for a replacement tag and put the reason youre doing so is because it was stolen.
    You have to file a police report for it to gain any traction/remove liability as @Ducti89 suggested. When applying for my new tags
    I specifically asked if I needed a Police report and got the same answer... NO. :rolleyes:

And the only reason I filed the report was because the dummay that stole my tag was riding around toll roads racking up charges.
    The toll booth cams got a few pics of this dweeb and they could careless about prosecuting.

20. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Oh man I would never even think of letting some random stranger borrow a plate that could potentially cause me an issue in the future. I trust no one.

YamahaRick likes this.