1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro-Thunder Rules changes

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stolen directly from the AMA site...

TO: All Licensed Road Race Riders and Season Credential Holders
    DATE: February 9, 2001
    SUBJECT: Buell Pro Thunder Rule Changes
    Due to our association with WERA and input from competitors, the following changes
    are being made.
    Effective immediately, the minimum weight rule is removed for the following two engine
    displacement sub classes, (Page 55, AMA Pro Racing 2001 Rulebook):
    ! Unlimited 4-stroke single cylinders
    ! 600cc - 850cc 4-stroke liquid-cooled twin cylinders (except desmodronic)
    In addition, each competitor’s best nine rounds out of the eleven points paying rounds
    will count towards the Buell Pro Thunder series championship.
    Should you have any questions regarding these changes, please contact Rob King at
    (614) 856-1900.
    PRO Competition
    BULLETIN

I would like to publicly thank Merrill and Rob and everyone else involved for listening to the riders. See, I told you guys they were trying...

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

They still need to re-name this class to "Pro Blunder."

3. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, if they collected their input up front, before they did stuff, then they wouldn't have to change it back later. And I find it hard to believe that all the stuff RW published on this issue, in print and on the web, didn't have something to do with them suddenly seeing the light.

4. fin1exp

fin1exp Well-Known Member

You the man JU [​IMG]

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I am sure if you ask them, it was an internal decision. And that they had no outside influence...yeah right.

[This message has been edited by Fuzzy317 (edited 02-15-2001).]

6. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Sean,

That's great news!! Glad to see that the association with WERA is having a positive impact on the AMA.<g>

7. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Hmmm. How about a Forum called 'AMA' with topics that address AMA issues within the WERA realm?

Nevermind, we'd put JU out of business. [​IMG]

8. julrich

Fat chance, Steve. Half the time I'm reporting AMA-related news before the AMA even admits to knowing anything about it.

9. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

I meant that you would be so busy posting stuff here, that you wouldn't have time to get to the printed stuff. [​IMG]

10. julrich

Oh yeah, that could be a problem.

11. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

so if i'm reading this right , it means the built sv's now have a 'shot' because they don't have to add lead, and those w/800 quackers are still seeing red $$$$ because they have to cut back to 748cc.

have i got it?

'one small step' no 'giant leap' [​IMG]

12. julrich

yeah, you have it.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Small steps JU, small steps - they did listen so give them at least a modicum of credit.

Maybe if they get thanked for doing the right thing no matter what the timing they'd be willing to repeat the action in the future... Hard to bother when it's damned if you do and damned if you don't (trust me on this one).

My guess is it was a combination of the RRW coverage and riders calling them. I did also talk to Merrill about a a week or so ago and suggested they make the change as well (but him not really knowing me from Adam I doubt that had much to do with it but at least he called).

I may be overly optimistic but I truly believe the AMA is the best shot for doing pro racing right, I believe they have the ability and people to do it right, and I will do what I can to help...

14. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

If I were a quacker, I'd be selling my Duc for 2 SV's right about now.

15. VitoDuc19

VitoDuc19 MIA

Why don't they just ban Ducati's, Harley's get points in all 11 rounds the and the 5 worst rounds for everyone else or make the races two laps long so Harley can win it. I don't have anything against Harley they're just not good roadrace bikes. The AMA maybe listening but they need to take the ear plugs out.

AMA member and Ducati owner

16. julrich

Yeah Mongo, but dealing with them is really, really frustrating because even if you're right, getting them to listen and act is almost impossible. Example: The two-seaon ban on rain tires in Supersport. And right now this BS practice restriction thing they have going in 600 SS and SB is really bad for anybody trying to bring up young riders, and the rule goes well beyond its original intent, and I've been talking to them about it for a year and have got nowhere. Just like I got nowhere on the rain tire deal until I got every SS rider (except one I couldn't find)in the pits at Road America 1999 to sign a petition in favor of getting rid of the rule, and then the AMA guys were mad at me for doing the research and talking to all the riders the way they should have in the first place.

It's easy: Research and collect input first, act second.

They act first, dig in their heels when an uproar results, then sometimes throw it in reverse, sometimes not, and usually only fix half the stuff they screwed up in the first place. Unless it's factory teams complaining about quick-stand restrictions, then they act quickly to back up.

AMA Pro Racing is dysfunctional and appears to be extremely mis-managed, and is staffed by people who may be well-meaning but are either in way over their heads; are simply hard-headed, ignorant and stupid; or are completely hog-tied by the bureauracy. Whatever the reason, AMA Pro Racing is all f--ked up and needs major, dramatic reform, now.

And having Pro Racing officials actually keep their promises and do what they say they're gonna do, when they say they're gonna do it, would be good, too.

John Ulrich