1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prime Rib

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

It's in the Sous Vide and its time for alcohol. Merry Christmas Beebers!

Captain Morgan likes this.
  2. caferace

caferace No.

I'm sure it's going to be awesome, but there's something eerily-not right about it done in a sous vide.

Enjoy. :D

3. I agree with both parts.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No, KISS. Don't penis pump your meat!

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

It was fantastic. Cut into 2" slabs, you get fully seasoned meat, quick sear all around and fully medium rare all over. Will do boneless next time but damn it was good! Had it with a really nice Arrowood Cabernet.

dobr24 likes this.
  6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Love sous vide. Steaks and fish perfect every. Single. Time.

7. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Still don't have a handle on fish. Too delicate after sous vide to sear. Might get a searing torch for both fish and steak.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I don't sear, just straight onto the plate or a bed of rice. We (my family) like the simple and smooth texture of the meat straight out of the bag. The only meat I sear after sous vide is pork, just because. I know I'm supposed to sear chicken as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Meat was made to cook with fire

If there's no sear it ain't steer

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Sous vide, when you don't care about texture or getting the fat to melt into the meat...

11. caferace

caferace No.

It's like any cooking tool. You can use it well, or not so well. It has its purposes, but it's not a remedy for poor cooking technique.

-jim

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know it truly does cool stuff but boil in bag meals just don't do it for me.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  13. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I just smoked a rib roast and it was incredible.

14. caferace

caferace No.

Think of it this way. You wouldn't likely bake a steak. But that can be a vital part of the process after a proper sear for a thick cut.

-jim

15. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

I will usually grill/smoke meats for the holidays but with Christmas eve being a Saturday and owning a retail store I had to work most of the day. My wife cooked a Prime Rib, seared at 500 degrees for 30 minutes, then turned the oven off and it sat for 2 hours (no opening the oven). I would have thought it would dry it out, but it was perfect.

pscook and gt#179 like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I understand it - and I would bake a steak (and pork chops, especially pork chops really) :D

renegade17 likes this.
  17. caferace

caferace No.

Got me there. Stuffed, especially.

-jim

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Probably doing the same recipe.... Looks good and heard from one already that it was great!

19. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

The thing with sous vide isn't "boil in a bag" it is more like convection cooking with very precise temperature control. I like steak medium rare, anything more is making leather. If you cook a steak any other way you get a temperature gradient across the cross section of the meat so to get medium rare you have the well done edges, then a medium well, then medium and the center is medium rare. With sous vide you set the temperature and it won't go over. For example, I set the prime rib for 131 degrees f so wat I got was the entire piece of meat at 131 degrees from the edge to the center. A quick sear and you get a perfectly done, very tender steak. I used to grill my steaks all the time but I am a convert to sous vide. One other plus is that if you are doing a dinner party you cook them ahead of time and it takes two minutes to sear.

pscook likes this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

OK, that sounds just plain wrong.