Preparing for my first trackday.

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by CycleWorx Inc., Dec 5, 2008.

1. CephasGT

CephasGT Track Day Dreamer

Bad idea. Slicks require tire warmers, and must be ridden at a sufficient pace to keep them in their optimal operating temperature range, in order for them to maintain traction. At your first trackday, you likely won't even approach that pace.

Any decent street sportbike tire will be more than adequate for your first several track days. Michelin Pilot Powers and Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs seem to be the most popular choices these days, and I can personally vouch for the former's performance potential.

2. CycleWorx Inc.

CycleWorx Inc. Well-Known Member

Thats what i figured but I thought I would throw it out there. I will probably go with pilot powers. I have them on one of my bikes right now and love them. Thanks

3. bkkruser

bkkruser Well-Known Member

also if you have slicks and it rains then you need rain tires.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Hey Doug. Indy SBK is a great place and terrific people. There is also a company called Impact Armor. They make a custom fitted chest/back protestor to your size. Try not to skimp on your safety equipment.

I ride with Nesba also, and the CRs are pretty good at keeping everybody safe. They have a lot of info just for the asking....the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. I work on the south side of Indy, if you need help with bike prep or questions let me know. Good luck and see you at the track. I'm at Putnam about 6-8 times a year.....Bill

5. CycleWorx Inc.

Thanks alot. I am going up to Indy SBK tomorrow to check them out. How do you connect a chest and back protector if they are not one peice. If they dont connect together wouldnt it be real bulky.

6. CephasGT

They don't have to connect. Most chest protectors I've seen just slip inside the suit and are held in place just by the snugness of the suit. Doesn't seem to be a problem. The Knox chest protector I'm getting for next season can attach to my back protector, but I doubt I'll go to the trouble of doing it.

7. CycleWorx Inc.

Has anyone used the Alpinstar Bionic SP Vest. I have considered it because it has a chest and back protector and it is affordable for a first timer, if it is safe. Thanks

8. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

FYI... Back protectors are manditory in the Intermediate and Advanced groups at STT. we HIGHLY suggest they be used by everyone.

Crazy how people invest $600+ in awesome helmets to protect thier brain and forget all about the way the signals get to every place else... Buy the best you can afford and make sure it fits and is comfortable (Knox is my personal fav..)

Welcome to your new hobby.

9. CycleWorx Inc.

I totally agree with you. I see many people riding with a $600 shoei helmet, t-shirt, and shorts. Its amaxing. Anyways, I have been trying to decide what bike to buy for a track bike, but I think I may use one of the bikes I already own so that I can use the money I intended to use on a bike for other things. The one I am thinking of is a 1991 Suzuki GS500. I bought it for the short commutes from one side of town to the other, so I dont have to get the CBR1000 out. What does everyone think. I have found rearsets and clipons, plus alot of extras. I think this will make a good bike for a couple of track days so I can get the feel of it and make sure it is a hobby I want to pursue. Thanks

10. CephasGT

That'll be just fine for your first few Novice days, I'd say. I wouldn't mess with modding it though, just get some good tires and brakes on it, make sure it's in good working order, and have at it.

11. CycleWorx Inc.

I am not planning on putting much money into it. Tires, brakepads, steel braided lines, clipons, and some stompgrip pads. This should be enought o have fun. The only thing I need to find out is whether or not I have to have a bellypan for novice track days. That may intoduce a problem but if nothing else I will fab one.

12. CephasGT

Nope, no bellypan required, for any of the TD orgs I've done business with. A few of them ask that you safety wire your oil drain plug, though.

13. CycleWorx Inc.

That is one of the first thing I am going to do is safety wire the normal things. Thats soemthing I am used to doing with drag racing so it is only natural for me to double and triple check. I know alot of people go into this blind, having no idea what tech will be like. I guess I have a little better view so I wont get blind sided after driving four hours and not being able to race because I didnt pass tech.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You won't need a belly pan. Some people take off their street plastics and ride it bare....Mad Max style!!!

15. CycleWorx Inc.

When I say belly pan I am talking about one too catch fluids. I know some organizations require them.

16. CephasGT

That's mostly just race orgs. I've never heard of a track day requiring them, least of all for Novice class.

17. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I don't know about other trackday orgs, but everytime I've ridden with Team Promotion they required a back protector and checked everyone before going onto the track. Sounds like you plan on getting one anyway though (you'd be stupid not to).

Don't go crazy with buying anything for the bike for your first track day. Get good gear and good tires (i used dot race takeoffs for my first one and they were inexpensive and worked great), tape the lights and go. When you get addicted go buy a track only lightweight bike like an SV650 so you'll be ready to come racing when you decide to try it.

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Read Post #28 and be enlightened

19. CephasGT

He was asking about belly pans, not back protectors.

20. CycleWorx Inc.

I guess my next question may sound wierd but what tank grips do everyone use. I have looked at stompgrip and gripsters. Opinons?