Political Meltdown in Egypt...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by nycstripes, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What does a nutjob running his mouth in another country have to do with the protests? Nutjobs will use any news item to get their "message" out.

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

This is the feedback I've been getting of the MB also. They have long ago renounced violence.

As always, time will tell.

Something tells me Iran is next...

3. charles

charles The Transporter

??? Matthew, it would facilitate your understanding if you were to obtain information from a variety of reputable sources. What I'm suggestng is that the current 'unrest' in Egypt has more to do with unemployment and the inevitable distrust and dislike of authoritarian rule than it does with some sinister plan by some radical Muslim group. Egyptians are not a stupid lot and the communications technology now in the hands of the young people is being put to good use. Personally, I would have a very quick fix for slob dictators like Mubarek and his kind. It is time for him to go.

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Although the protests in Egypt started out being about jobs it has expanded to something else. Now it's being supported by Iran and, very quietly to some extent, the Muslim Brotherhood. There seems to be a strengthening of the anti US sentiment. It's already started affecting other countries such as Jordan and Albania who have already starting having protests against their leaders. I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a complete upheaval within that part of the country and many parts of the Middle East may end up being Islam controlled even more than it is now. I think there's going to be some major changes.

5. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Maybe there is hope for us here as well and we can build on this wide scale social unrest movement and given our own unemployment, out of touch politicians, corruption and inept 'leadership' perhaps overthrow the well-established tyrannical 'Political Class' that has been running the US into the ground for the last 40 years!?!

:clap:

:p:p:p

6. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

This is getting old real quick. Guantanamo bay creates terrorist is what we are told. Others like to talk down on people in that region why dont they stand up for themselves. Then when they do our govt and people say oh no they are going to get a US hating muslim group if they get that dictator who is starving them out of there. So keep the dictator they are idiots who won't stand up for their freedom. Stand up for their freedom and they are going to become US hating muslim extremist. I wonder why they hate us?:rolleyes:

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/egypt-eruption.htm

"This one is important. Egypt is central to peace in the region. Their people have been ill-used by the Mubarak Regime. Watch the enlisted soldiers of the Egyptian Army. If they go with the people--- there will be incredible bloodshed."

Barry McCaffrey

That's a worst case scenario. Then we have to wonder who is the favorite for other Muslim countries? Who is the favorite for the US? Say a prayer for our CIA peeps in the region trying to steer this thing.

8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I say we let the chips fall where they may. It's high time that Mubarak and his cronies got thrown out and democracy prevailed. I say GOOD for the Egyptian people. I don't think an overthrow is likely, as Mubarak still controls the Army, but his regime will be fatally weakened. If it's not the end of Mubarak, it's the beginning of the end at the very least.

I think fears of Islamic domination are overblown, this revolution is very distinctive from the Iranian Revolution. The Shah had supported a resurgence of Islamism as a way of strengthening his own power. Mubarak suppressed them instead (thankfully). A democratic Egypt won't be Islamic, but nor will it necessarily be pro-Western. A stable and prosperous Egypt will have a mind of its own. Ultimately, this will be a great thing for everyone. It's time autocratic rule came to an end in the Middle East. I view this time as perhaps as game changing for the region as the fall of the Berlin Wall was for Eastern Europe.

It's high time that we put paid to the notion that urbanite Arabs are somehow unique in not wanting freedom. It's patronizing bullshit. The sooner the US promotes true democracy around the world, the better off everyone will be.

The American response right now is the smartest way to play it, we can't back the wrong horse. If it become clear that Mubarak will be forced out, the US will most likely quietly pressure him to leave, maybe with a promise of exile in the US.

9. charles

charles The Transporter

You'll get no argument about letting democracy prevail, but remember there's a flip side to political freedom. Remember the Luxor Massacre? Trace the roots of it back to U.S. pressure on Mubarek to be more liberal with various opposition groups. He was (but expressed his grave concerns), and they did what they most wanted to do. The problem vests in the nature of the political scheme; it must go one of two ways, either pro-Islamic (and anti-Israel) or pro-Democracy. These are not East Germans, there is an inordinate pressure due to Islam and the other Islamic regimes in the Middle East. Will this set the clock ahead or set the clock behind? Is "true democracy" as you put it, possible in various parts of the world?

10. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

11. charles

charles The Transporter

12. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm sure I'm wrong, but I'm just having a hard time getting interested. Maybe I'm tired.

13. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

If you were jewish, right now you'd be even more paranoid than usual....

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

We, as the world leader so to speak, tend to get kicked around whichever way we go. If we don't take sides in a situation like Egypt, both sides look unfavorably on us. If we do take sides, then the other side looks down on us. For practical reasons all we can do is take the side that benefits us the most. At least that way we gain a little.

While all this is going on, we must also keep a close eye our own Government so that we don't lose more of our own freedoms in the heat of all the turmoil. What was one of the first things that Mubarak did when all the shit hit the fan? He curtailed the internet and cell phone service. That eliminates the ability of the protesters to remain as organized as they have been.

Our own Government is, one more time, bringing up the issue of having a "kill switch" for internet service. This is just one example of where our own Government is attempting to put controls in place in the event that people get out of hand here. It may actually take protesting in the streets to get the attention of our Government. Who knows?

As I said, we're in a changing world and we had better pay frigging attention to our own corner of the world least we end up in the same situation that Egypt is in. For us to assume that it will never happen in the US is to basically stick our head in the sand while hoping that all the bad stuff will just stop existing.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  15. charles

charles The Transporter

true, true...

16. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

If this means a shortage on dill pickles, knishes, and matzah-ball soup then you have my full attention.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've said it before, I don't believe there can be a revolution in the US. Not as long as people are dying from eating too much instead of not enough.

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Buck, you had better get interested. This is potentially a very big societal game changer for the world. Tunisia started it, Egypt is now in turmoil, protests are starting up in Yemen and Jordan already. Where will it end? How will it affect us? There's already talk starting up on what the price of crude and Wall Street will do.

As usual, the US isn't paying enough attention to an important event that may very well have a significant effect on our way of life.:(

19. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Your right.

Heres a short good read on why we should be paying atten. As usual from the state run MSM, we don't here any of the details. Oils up 3% just today as I type this.

http://oil-price.net/en/articles/egypt-riots-and-oil.php

20. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

What do you think is going to happen when that supply runs dry? It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Oil is everything right now in this world, and that includes our MASSIVE food supply. Without oil, tractors can't run, cars can't drive to work. We'll live on life support for a while, and I have no idea how far we are away from this. I fully believe it will happen though.