Pirelli who? Pirelli what?

Discussion in 'General' started by DucatiBomber, Dec 15, 2011.

1. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

I bet Eslick could go out on the cheapest tire out there with stock suspension and spank my ass if I was ridin his 600 from last year. One thing I learned by leaving pirelli was that any tire I rode was faster than me. If it slipped or broke loose it was usually something stupid I did.

2. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Prbly one of the lurks that doesnt race but knows everything about it:D

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Wrong. Unless of course the tires are square and the springs fell off the suspension.

4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

LiveHardOne since you don get sarcasm this ^^^ was a joke:up:

Ride safe,
    AAron

5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I don't know if I'd agree with that. Take any guy who can ride a motorcycle around a racetrack and let him loose with a bone stock R6 and then an R6 with a well setup suspension and some sticky tires and he's gonna go faster.

6. Suburbanrancher

A guy who can find his way around a track, yes. A newb/inexperienced track rider?

You can replace their $400 race rubber with set of buck-three-fiddy Shinkos and it ain't gonna make a difference.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. LiveHardOne

LiveHardOne Well-Known Member

And where would this same aproach put Slick in Daytona Sportbike? He spanks your ass regardless because he is world class. You need to think on terms towards your own ability first. As far as tires being "faster" then the rider, well no shit sherlock, otherwise everyone would fall down all the time. It's all about getting the most out of them. And all tires on the surface - just run what ever is cheapest - are not equal, it's motre complicated than that.

8. LiveHardOne

of course it's sarcasm know, of course it is. :rolleyes:

9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

And who are u?

Ride safe,
    AAron

10. Putter

I started racing before trackdays existed. My FZR 400 was completely stock the day I took it on the race track (besides the obligatory safety wiring and stuff) with street tires. I had no idea why it didn't want to finish corners and felt icky every time I got on the gas. I could barely keep up with the new rider instructor when he was leading us around. That night (friday) the bike got a Hypertech springs, new fork oil, a Fox in the back and race tires. Saturday morning it was a completely different bike and I found I could actually hang with other lightweight bikes. This was the very first time I had ever had a bike on the track. Still didn't stop me from throwing it at the trees in turn five and getting an expensive ride to the hospital though......

I think a street rider won't know the difference between stock stuff and a well set up bike but the track is a different animal.

11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

No it wasn't all sarcasm like I said there is a bunch of truth to it but maybe if u r selling fast bits to newbies u can convince them u r right...

Ride safe,
    AAron

12. LiveHardOne

you are the one with the sig line. not me. :D

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm sure it hurt. I was trying to figure out what to do as Tyler moved from 125's to an SV last season. We went Bridgestone because of the large contingency and the fact he used them some on the 125's. Tyler won $900 a weekend three different times on one set of Bridgestone tires per weekend. I still have $1700 of contingency we haven't spent and we didn't pay for tires all season. I also gave away some perfectly good takeoff's that could have run more races.

This year they are offering $450 to win at CVMA, not sure what WSMC or WERA are offering. If we were still on the SV, I'm reasonably sure Tyler could win four races at $450 per race on one or two sets at CVMA. $1800 for one weekend is some serious coin.

The tires do work, Tyler set multiple SV650 lap records at multiple tracks on the Bridegstones.

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Yep what I thought.
    No name=no credibility

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Good job. BTW, don't let your certs expire. Get them to your tire guy.

16. Suburbanrancher

I don't doubt it. Though I gotta say I've coached a boatload of newer 'motivated' track riders over the years and many of them have a tough enough time grasping some of the more basic concepts their first few times out (throttle control/brake markers/turn-in points and apexes - that sort of thing). For those riders, where the tires seem to lose heat circling around at a slower pace, the rubber isn't going to make a difference.

Again, I'm just replying to the statement that tires make a difference at any level. My experience has been they don't at the beginner levels.

See? Shinkos could've done the exact same thing for much less :D

It certainly is, and if the rider is motivated to take the time to learn properly and feel what their bike is doing beneath them then that's when the setup starts to have an effect, imo. But if they're still wowed by pulling the trigger down the straights and then getting off to push through the turns while ten feet off the line then it's not going to be as critical, imo.

17. Putter

You could've just said, "Yeah, but Putter, you are one blazingly fast mofo."

It's probably different with the newer bikes I guess. They are alot more "advanced" than my 1990 Fizzer was.

18. LiveHardOne

Everyone knows credibility only comes thru the were BBS. Well this and "cherry picking" club twin classes. LOL

19. Suburbanrancher

Yeah, but that would just be stating the obvious :D

20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

No putter. The FZR 400 is still the best bike ever to roll around a track. The new stuff is still trying to replicate it's goodness.