1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Supercorsa 2010 tire question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by scoob4fun, May 6, 2010.

1. scoob4fun

scoob4fun Well-Known Member

Start of the season, I decide to switch to Michelin because of all the contingency, price of the tire, support blah blah and BAM, my local distributor is quitting the biz.... Perfect.

So, im looking to change my tire again and re-set up my bike. Its either going to be the Dunlop 211GPA Spec tire or the Pirelli Supercorsa's for my season.

I have never ridden the new spec tire and I really liked the Pirelli's but they never lasted. Can anybody comment on the 2010 Pirelli? Supposidly they have "new compounds" that make them last longer. Side note, can anybody comment on the Dunlop since its a new tire as well. I just want to make a choice, get the bike setup, and be done with it for the season...

2. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I ran the Dunlop Spec tire last weekend with good results. I ran Med Front Med Rear, but think the MED rear SOFT front may be a better combo. If your track isn't too abrasive and it is warmer temps, then the Soft rear is going to be a good choice as well.

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Last race weekend for me was CMP in April with CCS on Pirellis. I went through a set in a half in 7 races including one Solo on a 600 if that's any help. The only reason I changed the rear was because it had worn away the right side past the sipes and indicators, other than that I didn't notice anything unusual about the tire like sliding unpredictably or anything else weird.

4. edehaven

edehaven Eric DeHaven SoCalRaceDad

We just tested them back to back.. Same day same track same conditions

the Pirelli has a more forgiving sidewall, better rear grip off the corner and similar life.
    The 211GPA has a little more side grip front but much less rear grip on exit, the sidewall is much stiffer so you feel a lot more, which can equal more feedback but also can induce more chatter like we experienced.
    The tire life seemed fairly similar. though the Dunlop tended to have plenty of "rubber" left when the tire started to oil and loose significant grip. (they start to blue). where the Pirelli tends to wear right to the cords fairly consistently and maintains grip. The thing is they both fall off about the same time, just the appearance is different.
    Also both tend to be subject to cold tear, though the Pirelli a little more then the dunlop.
    We were still faster with the Pirelli, but Austin liked the feel of the lops and said with more time he feels he could equal the pirelli lap times

hope that helps

5. edehaven

edehaven Eric DeHaven SoCalRaceDad

ohh and the nice thing.. 180rear Pirelli and 190 rear dunlop have the same overall diameter, they both are the same diameter on the front so no major Geometry changes were needed..

6. scoob4fun

scoob4fun Well-Known Member

Eric, thanks man! That is exactly what I needed! Couldnt of asked for a better comparison.