Pike's Pike Hill Climb

Discussion in 'General' started by jb_11, Jun 2, 2011.

1. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

Anyone been to Pike's Peak to see the hill climb? Any tips on viewing? Can you take an RV up and camp near the top? Thanks.

2. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

I was wondering if they have any of it on TV. Speed cover any of this usually? I just got the Speed channel.

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Vintage guy David Rutherford on here has raced it, 83BSA, I think.

He ran a triumph or BSA against Eddie Mulder and crew. He said Tech was a pain, IIRC, even measuring numbers and stuff.

Look him up in the riders list....he's here in Atlanta area.

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I wanna see Chip Yates' Electric Bike

5. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

Well worth it if you can make it. I have been going for a long time and it rocks. You get to see some pretty effin nasty stuff. They have a huge party downtown a couple days before the race and you can check out all of the machinery. All sorts of different classes such as cars, bikes, trucks, sidecars, semis with rocket engines, etc. You can camp up top the night before and it's always a huge party.

6. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

there is an onboard with Joe Prussiano on an Aprilia that is amazing. Let me see if I can find it.

7. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

Would it be crazy to take a 25' RV up? Is there room to park it up there the night before the race? Is Devil's Playground where most people camp?

Thanks, BTW.

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Not sure if you can drive an RV up. Had a friend who went in an econo-box rental and had to stop multiple times on the way up to allow the brakes to cool.

9. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

This is on my bucket list. I have a friend who's been racing it for a couple of years now. Should be interesting next year because it's going to be fully paved. No more dirt.

10. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Gleason has an onboard too, on youtube.

11. hcr25

hcr25 Well-Known Member

Just saw this thread. 2012 will be the first year the road is fully paved and they will be having a sportbike exhibition powersports class. I signed up and was accepted to race my gsxr 600. They are limiting the number of motorcycles and quads to i believe 120. As of today they have 41 accepted. Entry fee progressivly goes up the longer you wait.
    Mike

12. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out if this is crazier than the IOMTT. One main difference is that if you crash at PP you have a lot longer to think about what your going to hit (as you're falling).
    Joking aside, it will be cool to see roadrace bikes going up the hill. It would definitely be fun to try.

13. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

It's a hairy climb that's for sure. Drove up it years ago while the boys were practicing for the AMA.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Would it be beneficial to wear a parachute, you know, just in case?

15. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Hard to find details, but as of 2004 there were only 3 race fatalities in 79 years of Pikes Peak.

237 competitor fatalities in 100 years of the IOM Mountain Course. Several more involving officials or during parade laps.

16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

This looks badass. It will for sure be paved in 2012?

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

18. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I think you're thinking what I've been thinking. :D

19. hcr25

hcr25 Well-Known Member

It is fully paved as of a month or so ago. We drove it the 3rd day after the new asphalt was put down.

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

My cousin lives about an hour from there. Might have to go study.