1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penn State scandal and cover-up.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by charles, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charles

charles The Transporter

Paterno and some other Penn State officials, including the President, a VP, and the Athletic Director, are going to have a hard time explaining why they permitted a pedophile/rapist (40 counts of criminal conduct) to have access to the university, not to mention why they collectively did not report eye-witnessed pedophilic activities to the proper authorities. Sad ending to a glorious career for Paterno. It's going to get ugly as the criminal cases go to court. The 'Happy Valley' ain't happy today.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Well, football is pretty much a religion to many, so this episode compares nicely to the problems of the Catholic church.
    Makes you wonder how much of this kind of thing is going on in Texas.:eek:

3. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Huh? What happened now?

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

5. In Your Corner

6. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Is "pedophile" now a pc description of "homosexual"?

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well, it is when the homosexual 60-something year old man has sexual relations with 11 year old boys.

Allegedly, of course. :rolleyes:

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

You gotta be shittin' us!

9. In Your Corner

A person can be both, but the two terms aren't equal.
    Aberrant behavior has many forms.

10. charles

charles The Transporter

Good analogy...coaches as priests and head coaches as popes.

Wait...Texas? Doesn't Orvis live in Texas? I bet he knows all about this.

11. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Actually, Paterno wrote it up and turned it in as soon as he found out. This is based on what I saw saturday during one of the games that I was watching.

At least now I know why Sandusky retired while I was there......

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Dammit! Don't bother me right now. I'm "mentoring" this little boy.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

An eye witness (player) goes to his coach ( ie Joepa). Joepa goes to his Athletic Director and not the cops? WTF. Sorry, as a Penn Stater (class of '74) there's no excuse for this. It might be the proper approach for a rules infraction (like drinking on the job) not for crimes against a child. Then, when nothing happens, like an arrest, the perv is let to retire and start a foundation for other victims, ie kids? Serious issue here for a program that has prided itself on doing the things the right way...NOT.

14. CausticYarn

CausticYarn I’m just here for the food.

Wrote it up? Why the hell didn't he call the police.

In fact, Why didn't all of the witnesses who walked in on this DB call the police right away? What the hell is wrong with people?

15. charles

charles The Transporter

I do not find, anywhere, that Paterno said or testified that he 'wrote it up as soon as he found out.' Where did you come across this statement?

What I see is that Paterno was told by the grad assistant (and his father) and Paterno did not meet until the next day with the Athletic Director. There is no mention of Paterno 'writing it up' and no mention of any document created by Paterno describing this incident of 2002 (which took place long after Sandusky retired).

Make no mistake about it, the State Attorney General's Office covered all of the bases, certainly being painfully aware of who was involved and where they worked, and no one at Penn State- repeat, no one- including Paterno, reported the 2002 incident involving the child to the authorities as required by law...and most certainly, required by honest men of good conscience and integrity, if not by the letter of the law.

No one at Penn State, including Paterno, attempted even once to find out the name of the chld involved in this abuse in 2002, not at the time and not since. Further, as the State Attorney General's Office reports, there was false testimony from Penn State officials and a marked refusal to fully cooperate with the ongoing criminal investigation.

The grad assistant has been named- Mike McQueary- and he has been working for the Penn State football program as a wide receiver coach and recruiter.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  16. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

This is some bad stuff! Top people at PSU resigning now and suspicions of the DA that went missing years back had ties to this case. :Puke:

17. charles

charles The Transporter

People get scared. People get intimidated by 'authorities' and those for whom they work. People have their job titles, their programs, and their paychecks to protect, what's wrong with you? And, hey!- it's Joe Paterno, didn't you know, all the gridiron glory and such! What price glory?

Now, it is interesting that the very same grad assistant (did he even play football for Penn State or any other team?) winds up as a wide receiver coach and player recruiter for Penn State...and, I hasten to add, kept his mouth shut about the 2002 boy-rape incident until he was forced to talk about it after receiving a grand jury subpoena in 2010...the branches never fall far from the tree.

Does that tell you something, or am i just too 'conspiratorial'?

18. charles

charles The Transporter

No shit!

19. CausticYarn

CausticYarn I’m just here for the food.

I assume that there is probably a university policy that says any "suspected" criminal activities need to be reported to the proper internal authorities - who will then investigate and report it to external authorities. Many Universities do have such policies - so I have heard.

That being said: If I caught some old dude fellating, or playing "oops I slipped into your butthole" with, a 10 year old boy I would definitely call the cops on the spot. I don't care what university policy is.

20. charles

charles The Transporter

Read the indictment and the other press releases by the State Attorney. Methinks it is worse than you are thinking right now.

Sandusky had been retired, since 1999, most likely forced out by Paterno after Sandusky's 1998 'incident' with a young boy on campus, but was given a very nice retirement package in an 'emeritus' status, which gave him an office, access to the campus facilities, and other perks paid for by the taxpayers. So he kept bringing the kids to the campus football program and facilities (nice bait, huh, for kids?).

It would appear that someone was keeping good ol' Jerrry around...and protecting him despite his obvious fondness for young boys.

Sandusky (and others) started 'The Second Mile' charity in 1977...just think how long he had access to young kids; his victims, or more specifically, those who have come forth so far, all came from 'The Second Mile' charity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.