1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

paypal

Discussion in 'General' started by Sicilian32, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sicilian32

Sicilian32 Well-Known Member

if i were to make a purchase via paypal from an add i saw on craigslist. what are the chances of me getting screwed if the guys account is verified?

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Use a credit card if possible.

3. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

Paypal won't do anything for you 90% of the time anyway

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If there is a way to f@ck you, chances are someone will. So, yes, you can still get an asspacking even if the address is verified.

5. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Obviously you are having this item shipped, if not, meet them in person and pay cash. I use Craigslist to only sell locally and local pickup, otherwise I use fleabay.

6. RLS Exhaust

RLS Exhaust Member

RLS Exhaust

It does not get much safer than Pay pal they sell you crap you just contact Paypal and get your money back.
    That easy

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

more like your credit card company

8. chaveezy

chaveezy Well-Known Member

I use Paypal but I try to do it in conjunction with some type of auction, like Ebay, that way I have a duplicate verification process and can have evidence for taking action. Usually when they are verified it gives you their address and contact information, which is 98% of the time legit. Again, not to say you won't get screwed but at least you're minimizing your risk. Plus, PayPal has a method to getting your money back for if the item is "not as described" or "non receipt". You have to stay on top of it though.

One time I sold a high dollar item to a buyer, used PayPal to do the transaction, but I mistakenly told him I was going on a deployment soon afterwards. So he took that to his advantage and after he received the item, filed a claim saying that it was "not as described" because it didn't come with the instruction manual (it was an R/C Helicopter, and was easily downloadable), and because I didn't reply to the claim within two weeks or something, he got his money back also. So actually the system can help you, OR screw you!

What a wonderful world we live in!!! Selling for cash in person = 0% risk involved (unless you live in South Central, then you might want to carry when you go to meet the buyer) ;)

Good luck!

9. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

Use a credit card for purchases through paypal period. There is really no other way to go. If you purchase outside of e-bay, paypal offers zero real protection. If purchased on e-bay it is a little better but not worth the risk. Most C/C companies provide protection for all trasactions.

10. Sicilian32

Sicilian32 Well-Known Member

ok well i have the guys real address his cell number and his name along with paypal account.. he did offer to meet me to sell it but as im on a tour in africa kind of hard, lol..
    anyone live in west virginia? lol

11. djones745

djones745 Active Member

paypal only works in the buyers favor if the seller has funds in his account, I learned the hard way. Better make sure you fund paypal with a credit card to ensure you get your money back- that way you can dispute the transaction with Visa or MC if paypal rules in your favor but the seller has no funds.