1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paying your kids for yardwork..

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Apr 29, 2023.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

How much?

My yard is about an hour with the self propelled mower.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

I pay the 8yo in hot wheels. Your yard would earn him 2-3 cars.

Other than his pay, getting him into reasonable negotiation and tactics is equally important to me .
    He learned the hard way moving branches where he thought “a couple” and i meant the pile. He still pulled through, but is much more careful with setting terms

StaccatoFan and Yzasserina like this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Three hots and a cot, under a roof.

OldGuyOnBlu, ducnut and evakat like this.
  4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Wait until he learns about contracts. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

when I was younger my father made me mow the lawns twice a week and clean the house every day before they were home from work. my grandfather made me mow our lawn and the surrounding 5 neighbors lawns every weekend. front and back. For free. If some of his friends had home projects like digging trenches for sprinkler systems I’d have to be right there with them shoveling and picking. All day. From sun up to sun down. No pay.

at the time I was hella resentful. I am now grateful. I am capable of doing extremely hard work that is super repetitive and not go crazy. I can see things through. That’s the lesson I took from it. I think it’s what gave me the mental fortitude to climb big walls when I was a rock climber. and deal with being alone in a cell for months. And when I started working in the auto industry I spent the first 5 years doing repetitive tasks before anyone put a spray gun in my hand.

If it were me…. I’d not pay a thing. I’d be out there with them doing it. Showing them by example that many things in life are mundane, repetitive, and hard. Payment would be based on their weekly grade reports.

I also had an idea to assign differing dollar values to chores around the house. With the availability of chore credit and a set time period to complete. If they complete the chores within the allowable timeframe their available chore credit goes up. If they don’t their chore credit goes down to the point where they are working for free. With chores being added and subtracted on top of the balances to simulate interest rates. giving them a solid understanding of how their future credit score works and how it can affect them.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    malik ross, BigBird and Yzasserina like this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

We haven't reached the lawn mowing stage yet. And to be honest, we may not for a while since my mower would be difficult for him to use for a few more years. And I like doing it!

As far as chores, they get $1 for pretty much everything. Folding and putting away a basket of laundry, emptying and loading the dishwasher, taking the trash out and replacing the bag, rolling the can out and back on trash day.

Yzasserina likes this.
  7. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

That's equivalent to a quarter from your youth?

Phl218 likes this.
  8. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Mine does it for free...but he gets to use the diesel zero turn...

ToofPic likes this.
  9. eggfooyoung

If that!

But a basket of towels can be folded and put away in ~5 minutes? That's the equivalent of $12/hr. Pretty good for 12 and 9 years old.

10. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Way overpaid. Evidence that parents are part of the problem.

11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Kids need to get paid and understand the basics of capitalism and how things work before they get old and are lost

Public schools will not teach them these values, ever

Whether the dollar amount is too high or too low is irrelevant

Paying the kids for tasks is for educational purposes

How to spend
    How to save
    How to plan
    How bigger risk and dedication comes with bigger reward

R Acree, ToofPic, Itey and 4 others like this.
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

Exactly.

My son gets $1 for every chore that he doesn't have to be reminded to do so. He also runs a register, so he gets the responsibility of knowing how much he's making and how much he's spending.

I guess if you don't want to teach your kids the concepts of money, not paying them to prove to the internet you're hard ass is your choice and would explain why most Americans are fucking horrible with money.

R Acree, TLR67, ToofPic and 3 others like this.
  13. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Sarcasm detector fail?

I'm on the same page, kinda-sorta. Kids need to learn the value of money, along with the value of work. Not every chore/job/task needs to be rewarded with money, but can be used to introduce them to the real value of community, good relations with close neighbors, friends and family. In the long run, that's priceless.

My family didn't have the ability to provide money for chores, but we gained something arguably more valuable than the nickel or quarter that we would have spent at the corner store anyways.

I "earned" $.27.5/hour with my first job, great lesson in capitalism for a young kid.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

If he's old enough, and the local residential area allows for this model, teach him how to do it right. Cut, edge, blow, haul off or bag as needed. Once he's at a point of doing it well unsupervised have him solicit neighbors for paying jobs.

Yzasserina likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think there are more important lessons for children than the capitalism indoctrination. For example, family. How to help and contribute to the family unit without expecting compensation. How to be selfless and helpful. No wonder America is so f*&ed up. This capitalism shit is out of control. Let the kids be kids. They have all the time in the world later in life to be dealing with money 24/7.

16. auminer

One of my running boys back in Jr High school started doing this. He tried to get me to go in with him, but I had better things to do... Like that cute little redhead down the block named Heidi. :D I can still remember seeing him riding his bike with his lawnmower in tow strapped to a Radio Flyer.

Fast forward to 2020 and he sold his landscaping company to his employees, he's worth well over 8 figures, and will never ""have to"" again.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I love when people that enjoy a great life based on the fruits of capitalism lecture me on how bad it is.

Amazing

brex, britx303 and auminer like this.
  18. auminer

You're going out with a bang today. :crackup::crackup::crackup::bow:

It's definitely entertaining.

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Clearly you don’t know the stress of just getting up and riding a bike around the world :p

R Acree, tony 340, brex and 1 other person like this.
  20. eggfooyoung

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Yzasserina likes this.