Paver Patio Project

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Sorry...pic didn't load.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

I don’t think pavers suck long term, if done correctly they will hold up and don’t present anymore maintenance issues then concrete does. I think they look better then stamped colored concrete as they offer a difference in size/shape pattern and also color pattern as each paver is individual from the other so it looks more natural/real, too me anyway.

I’ve had good luck with using a polymer sand that sets up after being watered and then applying a top sealer. Did both of my paver patios using these 8 years ago and haven’t had any weed or insect issues. I plan on doing a sealer refresh next year just to bring back a little shine.
    BF149729-3B2A-4298-8126-15D12DF8DCB1.jpeg

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Nice work. I gotta make sure my wife doesn't see those pics. :crackup:

Razr likes this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I am actually a mason, but have been doing concrete for 20 years. Sometimes I lay pavers, it's hard work but they do look good.

G 97 likes this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Is this the granite type of stamp? I was debating on the brick but that seemed too precise for my needs.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The brick is tedious, small textures are just labor intensive. Some of the repeating patterns requires me to hire 2-3 more people that day.

That pattern is called heavy stone. Each company has different names. Another company calls that fractured earth, another is granite or slate.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

There’s probably 6-8 texture mats that look similar from each company. You might try to locate them sooner than when you get ready to pour. The popular mats might have a 3 week wait to rent them.

8. speedluvn

How many pads should I rent for a one, possibly two man show?

9. speedluvn

Curious as to why?

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Around here the rental comes with four 4’x4’ mats and one 18”x18” pad. You could probably get by with two mats. Sometimes we only use 2 or 3 of the four they give us. You stand on one while you place the next one. They hard to clean at the end of the day.

speedluvn likes this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

On a repeating or square pattern, if you get one crooked it really shows up. We will chalk lines on a large repeating pattern. I charge much more on those so people usually choose the heavy stone basic 4’x4’

speedluvn likes this.
  12. speedluvn

What’s concrete staining?

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Basically painting your concrete. Some of the indoor staining and polishing can look very cool. Most of the outdoor staining is when someone wants to hide ugly concrete. Once you apply stain....you can't go back.

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Yay picture time...

stamp1.jpg stamp2.jpg stamp3.jpg stamp4.jpg stamp5.jpg stamp6.jpg stamp7.jpg stamp8.jpg stamp9.jpg stamp10.jpg stamp1.jpg stamp2.jpg stamp3.jpg stamp4.jpg stamp5.jpg stamp6.jpg stamp7.jpg stamp8.jpg stamp9.jpg stamp10.jpg

15. gapman789

don't forget pea gravel mix.

stamp11.jpg stamp12.jpg stamp13.jpg stamp14.jpg stamp15.jpg stamp16.jpg stamp17.jpg stamp18.jpg stamp19.jpg stamp20.jpg

16. gapman789

2 yds, 6" thick.

stamp21.jpg stamp22.jpg stamp23.jpg stamp24.jpg stamp25.jpg stamp26.jpg stamp27.jpg

17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Gorgeous. Some of those installs were probably more than my house....:eek::eek::crackup::crackup::crackup:

18. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Do you get a frost heave in the ground during winter?

19. speedluvn

For this mere mortal, I feel that this might be within my ability.

Thanks Bill!

@gapman789 - your “examples” really stretch the imagination of what’s possible. The cement slide that you pictured, how do you prevent your clients from obtaining abrasions on their asses?

Razr likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nope, never have. Although my back slab is starting to settle some. I think it’s down two inches or so but at least it’s sloping away from the house so no big deal. I guess I could get it pump jacked but it doesn’t bother me as the pavers on top are all very well in tight in place and haven’t moved so.........