1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paging Auto Body Experts

Discussion in 'General' started by cincigp, Jun 21, 2015.

1. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

This place has become better than Google for unusual questions, so I am hoping there is someone on here than can help me out. One of the roof seams on my Sprinter has started to leak. What would the best seam sealer for a DIY job?

I am thinking of blasting the whole seam with walnut shells, using a rust inhibitor (POR 15?), sealing it, then priming and painting. Would this be an acceptable method for sealing it back up?

2. Duct tape (sorry, someone had to be a smart ass).

3. Where is it leaking, in a seam? How was the place leaking originally sealed?

4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Typically and I'm not joking, it's called seam sealer. We need a picture though, I self leveling RV sealant may work as well.

5. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

Yes, the product is called seam sealer. Use that or weld it.

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

This is a van right? Not a th or toy hauler? If so I wouldn't just patch it with sealer, I would have it fixed. Seam or not you shouldn't have holes in your roof...

7. If it's a sprinter with an unmolested original roof is dig into why its leaking, quick repair on a seam could use eterna-bond I think it's called. You know exactly where it's leaking? If so you could sand it down, tack it every 1/2" or " depending on how bad then throw a marine grade seam sealer 3m makes a good expoxy one, then touch it up with paint.

8. cincigp

Yes, it is an original unmolested Sprinter. The way they get the roof to match the different lengths is by adding a different size panel in the back, so there are two seams that are spot welded in. There doesn't seem to be any external sealer on these seams. On my van, there is slight surface rust at the seam edges, so I am guessing an opening has corroded it's way through. I am not concerned about cosmetics, since you can't see it without an 8 foot ladder, so a I am thinking a caulk style seam sealer is what I want, but I don't know which specific one would be best in this situation. I was hoping someone in the business could recommend something for a DIY job, I.E. I don't have a gun for a two part system. I started looking around and there are a bunch of options and I am hoping someone will say "3M Urethane" is the best or something like that, since if I just ordered something it would be a slightly educated guess. Whatever is recommended, I need to get it ordered so I can get it fixed this week.

9. Clean up, tack together and 2 part seam sealer, spend the money on the good stuff (which is not that much, $59 I think).

10. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

If not worried about looks, find an RV dealer (preferably a Winnebago dealer, as they use the stuff), and get self levelling silicone. Made by Nuflex(I think). Basically a runny silicone that will creep into the crevice and flow out flat.

11. cincigp

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

3m 5200

13. cincigp

Thant looks like some good stuff! If I can get a tube in black that may be the ticket.

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

lowes and HD have it in the full size tubes.

15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

oops, guess your talking about the seem sealer.

16. cincigp

No, I was talking about the 5200. If it works under the waterline of a boat, it should work on the roof of a van. Do you know if it is paintable?

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

If it's as rubbery as some of the products I've used on the MH, I don't think any paint would last long on it. Maybe check to see if they have various colors, matching your van?

18. cincigp

I am not too concerned, just was wondering. The van is dark blue, so a small black seam would look fine. The side panels have a black sealer, so it would actually match.

19. cincigp

So in this application, what would be the advantage of something like that over the 3M 5200 other than it is paintable? If there are advantages, I may go that way, but it sounds like nothing is getting past the 5200. It looks like it will be about $120 for me to get the two part, or about $20 for the 5200.