OT: Where to stay in Myrtle Beach?

Discussion in 'General' started by MudDawg, May 17, 2012.

1. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

So the wife is stuck on the idea of going to Myrtle Beach this year. I know diddly about it. I figure somebody on here might have an idea.

She's talking a condo for a week. I'm thinking hotel.

This is a vacation mainly for our 8 year old daughter. So kid friendly is the main thing. Close to attractions for her. Beach, rides, etc.

I'm also looking for ideas for rainy days. Cause that does happen on vacation.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

All I know is to stay in N. Myrtle Beach.

3. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Why north myrtle? Bad neighborhoods.

4. tito

tito Well-Known Member

you will have a blast.....there are a ton of hotels(some good others not) along the strip, we stayed with the in laws at one of their timeshares, so I can't recommend any hotels.
    there are mini golf courses all over the place. There is plenty of shopping but most of it is outside, so if it is raining you are SOL. I went to HHI last summer, and for my money I would rather go to MB again over HHI.
    HHI was nice but really expensive for everything. MB is for tourists so there is plenty of cheap stuff to do too.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Best place to stay in Myrtle.....Hilton Head or the Outer Banks!

Sorry, been to all three and Myrtle was on the bottom of the list.

All joking aside, when our daughter was that age we found the best thing to do was bring a friend along. It didn't really cost us much more but the benefit of their friend with them was huge. Just a thought.

6. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Yeah, I thought of that. But two 8 year olds for a week? Eeeeek!

7. rd400racer

I thought the same thing, but they hung with each other and left us alone.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Litchfield south of Myrtle is a good family beach, yet close enough to OD for a quick trip to the activities.

9. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

OD ?? Sorry, not up on the myrtle beach related acronyms.

Litchfield beach, I will look it up.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

OD = Ocean Drive, runs parallel to the shore through Myrtle Beach proper. It is the original part of the monster that is now referred to as Myrtle Beach.

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Shit man, Kenny Powers has a place there. Just go crash with him!

12. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Rick, if you're old enough to remember Ocean Drive you won't recognize what they've done to the place since. The Pavillion is gone. They now have the Pavillion Nostalgic Park at one of the shopping complexes. This is very indicative of the changes too.

13. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

The wife wants "something nice". Which means I get raped for a place to stay for 7 days....like $2K is what she was thinking. I'm working to cut that to something reasonable if possible.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've been within the last 4 or 5 years. The Pavilion and most of that area was gone. The mid century motels we used to cram 12 or more people into have long been razed to make room for the condo towers. Litchfield is a nice family beach south of Myrtle great for smaller kids. That's where we took our daughter. There is a newer Litchfield resort and an older 60's vintage complex that is reasonably priced. Good food in Pawley's Island and North Myrtle activites are about a 30 minute drive.

This is the place where we stay. then again we haven't been in a few years. We went to Kiawah a couple years, but it was too spendy. I have to say the proximity to Charleston was nice though.

15. rd400racer

I know she sounds set on Myrtle, but just to fill you in on HHI. Yeah, there is some pricey shit there. There is also a normal section too. 2 years ago we rented a 3 bedroom house with a pool and hottub 2 blocks off the beach. Paid $1700 for a week. This was through one of the typical house rental agencies.

Having your own house beats the hell out of a condo/hotel. We hardly went out to eat since we had a full size kitchen, grill etc. Also, on the first day we rented bicycles for all of us. I don't think we used the car but twice while we were there. There is bike paths everywhere and the place is so much more laid back than Myrtle.

Just my 02

16. rd400racer

17. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Well now don't I feel old, and I'm only 22. My family use to go down every year, stayed at this little place called the chesterfield inn, I think it was like 1 block up from the amusement park. I used to spend a lot of time in the arcade across the street when I was 10. I wanted to go back down there this summer just for some memories and now ive lost total interest. It's upsetting that something that was around for so long is gone but I suppose that's just how it goes.

18. jamespierce

jamespierce Well-Known Member

myrtle beach

Dunes Village Resort

Ocean front hotel in Myrtle Beach is a great place for kids.
    It has a huge indoor water park for the rainy day.
    The folks take the grand kids there several times per year.

19. Donkey1

Donkey1 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We've gone down for years and years and always stayed in Garden city beach? area. Rented a house right on the beach from dunes reality. We're pretty middle, blue collar so the houses were pretty decent for us, some needed some work but you only stay in the house to sleep for the most part.