OT: Strained intercostals?

Discussion in 'General' started by MudDawg, Jan 2, 2012.

1. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

So I have been battling a cold turned into sinus infection for the past week. Leading up to this past weekend I thought I was on the mend. Then for New Year's eve it definitely turned into an ugly sinus infection.

Yesterday I couldn't get to an urgent care center as I had plans with my daughter through most of the day that she was really excited about. (I should have seen doctor yesterday!)

Got in first thing today. On antibiotics. But while driving home I had a nasty coughing fit and felt something pop on the right side on my chest below the pecs. Frigging hurts when I cough now like a bitch.

Anything I can do to help this type of injury? The antibiotics are starting to work, but I'm looking at another day of coughing fits at least.

2. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

Keener - Is this an elaborate plan to avoid racing the Hangover Hare Scramble this weekend?

Dude, if you don't want to race, just say so.

Other than that wisdom, I don't have any other for you.

Pete

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Likely popped a rib. Chiro should be able to pop it back into place, otherwise alternate heat & cold to relax the muscles (cold-heat-cold).

My ribs pop all the time, mostly on the back though. If I don't get in within a couple days, they tend to find their way back.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I sneezed one time coming in from the car when I had a sinus infection and it felt like I tore all the muscles in my right side. Rough few days, I was terrfied to cough, sneeze or poop.

5. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Coughing just plain hurts. If I stand up really straight it's not too bad. But some of these fits are almost putting me on the ground. And then the rib hurts on top of that.

Faaaack. Happy freaking 2012. grrrrrrrr

6. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

I'm racing. You were the one trying to back out last I knew.

It's on like Donkey Kong!!!

I'll be good enough by the weekend. Won't be great, but good enough. So at least I already have my excuse lined up!

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sounds like what happened to me. Dawg, you're in for a tough few days but it should pass. Good luck.

8. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

And meds that could help? Muscle relaxers? Pain killers? Freaking baseball bat to the ribs?

Damn. I'm getting old when I cough and injure myself.

9. pickled egg

It's not all that unusual to break ribs from coughing.

First thing I'd get is some good cough medicine (preferably with codeine, that shit works wonders!) to prevent further injury.

10. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

I have it. The problem was the sinus drainage was literally choking me. It's been an ugly weekend.

Question: How do you know if it's a broken rib or not? And if it's broken...do I have to turn in my man-card?

Just waiting on the next round of drugs....oh how I'm waiting.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just dealt with it. I think some perscription drugs might help but I'm too much of a pussy to go to the doctor.

The worst is finding a position to sleep in that doesn't make your ribs hurt to the point you want to eat a bullet and keeps your ears from filling up with snot and yuck.

One thing, eat safe food for the next few days. Anything that gives you the dumps, well, avoid them at all cost.

12. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Crap. The painkiller codeine will most likely be bad. Looks like I will be hunting up bananas posthaste.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One thing, if you see blood from either end (coughing it up or pooping it out), get to the urgent care or the ER.

14. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

I'll check my mucus. I'll send you pictures of my Poo.

:)

But thanks for the tip.

15. pickled egg

Busted ribs are easy to diagnose. Get someone to punch you in the side that hurts. If it kills you, they was busted. :D

Actually, the "field test" for broken ribs is to use a tuning fork. If the rib is broken, and you put the end of a tuning fork against you, you will *KNOW* it's broken.

Obviously you can't put a cast on a busted rib, so the therapy I was told was, apart from not moving it, is to take Os-Cal, eat greasy cheeseburgers and get out in the sun (Vitamin D is created from cholesterol and UV light, and the calcium supplement is, well, for calcium). Take whatever to help with the pain, I usually choose vodka. :D

16. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Just got over my cold. I'm betting you pulled a rib muscle, I did that a few weeks ago, and it hurt like hell..just take it easy, and it will heal in a couple days or so.

17. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Crap. I'm on the mend. But 3 full boxes of tissues in 5 days? (Puffs with lotion if you must ask. And my nose still looks like roadkill it's so chapped.)

Ribs are still really sore. Stretching tall when sneezing cuts most of the pain. But have you ever tried doing that in a hard coughing fit?

And a 2 hour hare scramble to race on Sunday. Shoot me now.

18. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I feel your pain..800mg Ibuprofen would take the edge off the rib pain. Have to tried alkaselzer (sp) cold medicine, suppose to help with the sniffles, ect.

19. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Mucinex DM
    Dayquil/Nyquil
    Cough syrup with codeine
    Saline solution sprayed into sinuses frequently
    Afrin
    Ibuprofen occasionally - Doc said it helps the sinus inflamation better than the Tylenol in the Dayquil.

Yeah, I feel like a junkie after 5 days of this crap. But at least the coughing bouts are a lot less frequent. Might make it into work tomorrow. Or might work from home. I've been a zombie for most of today hiding in the basement man-cave.