1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions need for school project

Discussion in 'General' started by dom, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

if you had acces to a machine shop with the rights tools and knowledge you could make that for like 40 bucks in material.

3. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

4. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

keep in mind that cost of goods sold or in this case cost of good sold includes materials, labor and variable overhead.

5. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

why dont you be a little more clear here on your intentions then. do you plan on mass producing this having mutilple people make these and have to worry about dealing with the cost of workers and paying them and then taking the time and money to promote the sale of the items?

or are you just asking how much it would cost to make these? your question is a little to vague.

6. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Divide retail price by 7 to get in the ballpark

Somewhere around $35 to $40

7. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

i'm looking for cost of goods sold or COGS but boiling it down to the individual item. not all of them produced. So the cost of the good sold would include materials and labor to say the least.

8. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I'd probably guess between $100 to $150, but that all depends on the size of the operation and the sophistication of the manufacturing equipment. There's more than $40 in material cost alone, but that also depends on a material source and the quantities ordered. Assuming they have decent welding, bending, and assembly fixtures, there shouldn't be more than an hour or two of labor. Then add finishing (painting or powerdercoating), labeling, and packaging. Of course there are also R&D and tooling costs to account for.

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Ditto, What Stephen said..:up::up:

10. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

You have to figure the volume/future volume. Making a batch of 1000 would be cheaper per unit than a batch of 5. If you can justify the time and expense in making jigs/tooling that could save substantial time per unit over the run. Most all of it appears to be dimensional stock with the exception of the channel. If you could have the tire holding channel formed into a stock as it looks like they are all very similar that would cut time. If you had to brake that manually it would be time consuming.

Would say around $150 in small quantities

Crap... what Stephen and Britt said. Started to reply and walked away before I finished and they beat me