1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Trailers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guoseph, Feb 14, 2001.

1. jericson996

jericson996 Well-Known Member

My first setup was a Hyundai and a single rail coleman utility trailer. it gets you there.

First and foremost, you need something reliable to get you to a race. I've never broken down but I bet it sucks big time. Having spare bearings, tires, etc. for the trailer is good.

Prior to buyinh a trailer, I rented U-haul 4x8 trailers. it gets the job done but tie done faculties are lacking and more than once, the bastards rented my reserved trailer to someone else.

I moved to a Haulmark 5x10 enclosed trailer towed by an Explorer. That provided me all the room I needed. I think the 5x10 is a little small for two bikes and all the other shit you'll bring but it was cheap and may fit in a garage preventing you old lady from hounding you about it being in the driveway but thats another story.

My single rail had a deck fashioned so that coolers, gas cans, and toolboxes could be attached. I've also seen rail trailers with some kind of metal box fitted giving some security.

My enclosed trailer was 2300 including a class 3 hitch installed. Probably a little big for a 626.

What is really cool is the guy who tows his vintage bike on a small trailer with his goldwing, now that's hardcore.

2. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Yeah, reliability is key. Which is kinda why I'm hesitant about the Mazda. It's kinda getting up there in the age department. And my tranny has random feelings of unkindliness toward me. I'm afraid towing duty may spell death sentence for her.

I will be looking for a replacement vehicle soon anyway. But a full size PU or Van just doesn't fit the bill as a commuter to me. Plus it costs an arm and a leg just to feed those thing gas [​IMG]

I'm trying staying low on costs the first year just in case [Blasphemy] I might not like racing [/Blasphemy]. [​IMG]

On the subject of open trailers though. Where are some websites where I can find more info?

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Just open up your yellow pages and find the local trailer dealers. New 4x8 flatbeds run about 6-700, used ones 3-400. If you buy new try to get them to put on hubs with the same bolt pattern as your car, so 1 spare will serve for both

Rich

4. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

Do NOT listen to these people. They all have some sort of ulterior motive in their replies.
    But you can trust me.
    You should buy my stuff.
    I have a 96 Dodge full size pick up 4x4 extended cab, a race ready R6 with all the spares you will need and your choice of a 14’ open trailer or a 16’ enclosed trailer with a built in generator that is set up for 4 bikes.
    I will toss in a ez-up and a set of warmers.
    All you need to worry about will be safety gear.

5. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

LOL, more likely I'll have to worry about being bankrupt and getting my ass handed to me on a silver platter in the 600 cc classes.

6. fin1exp

fin1exp Well-Known Member

Hey, Everyone kept telling me not to go into the 600 class cause its the meat grinder and all that crap, but it was a ton of fun. Sure, I was not close to Ricky and Tony, but maybe someday. [​IMG] Starting from the third wave was intimidating but heck, that huge group of people of Sv's and all looked even worse.
    Jump on in [​IMG]
    Eric

7. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

The 600 class is fun, but...

I've never had anyone chop my front wheel and send me into the tire barrier, resulting in a broken collarbone, while competing for 19th position on the last lap of a GT...in the LW classes.

[This message has been edited by TSR (edited 02-15-2001).]

8. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Eric on a lightweight bike you will learn more than on a MW bike to start with, trust me I've done it before. Unless you have alot of talent.

9. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Talent? What's that?

Back to trailers, Mongo, what's that mesh trailer thing you used called?

10. Tracee Polcin

It's a landscape trailer.

11. fin1exp

Maybe I am just talented [​IMG](or dreaming) Thanks for the compliment.
    TSR, I can't really comment on the stuffing/slahing/cutting cause I am new to it all. I could see what you are saying though, and I don't claim to be experianced.
    AS far as racing on a lighter bike, I can agree you might better midcorner speed, but what about when you move up to a more powerful bike? I know one of the things that I want to do is ride a 750 since this 600 is the fastest thing I have ever ridden and I have no idea how to handle the power of a 750. Well, I might have an idea, but I think you get my point...but back to the trailer thing.
    I have an F-150 that I use for the bike and gear. I miss my smaller car, but its a lot easier to have just one vehicle to carry everything. as you start getting more stuff though(generator, tents, etc), thats when you run into the problem.
    My .01(cause racing just takes it all)
    Eric

[This message has been edited by fin1exp (edited 02-15-2001).]

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yup and I bought it and my 16' flatbed from the same old dude near Memphis because they are cheap there (brand new even), the big one was only $750, the smaller one $400 or so. Downside is they have nasty old rims and bald car tires on them but tires are cheap - do not get small rims! Get car rims so you don't have to use over priced POS trailer tires on those little white rims ($85 for a rim and tire, what a ripoff!) I put cheap Sam's club tires and black NASCAR style rims on the big one and swap them to the little one for longer runs with it...

13. Tracee Polcin

Eric the only thing that a bigger bike does for you is make you lazy. i.e.--you will rely on the hp to be fast instead of cornerspeed, late braking and such.

What kind of times where you turning this past weekend? The leaders in D-sbk expert were turning 1:05's, that's not too far off of what was being done on the bigger bikes with alot more HP.

[This message has been edited by Tracee Polcin (edited 02-15-2001).]

14. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

How can I tell the difference? Do I assume that anything 14 inch is a car rim? or is there actually a difference?

15. Tracee Polcin

I believe the tire will be marked as a trailer tire, but I could be wrong.

16. fin1exp

I was running consistent 1:05's. I have to drop 2 seconds to catch the leaders, but I was happy. As far as being lazy, I can kinda see your point, but if you want to run upfront, I don't think there is anything lazy about it, but like I said, I am no expert and my experiance in racing consists of this one weekend. If I had the money, I would get a smaller bike also. [​IMG]
    As far as the trailer thing, you mean you actually use a CAR rim? Interesting. Mongo, do you have this guys name/contact info. I have a few friends that might want it, including myself.
    Eric

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

AAA Trailers near Millington Tennessee. The rims are all 5 on 4.75" 15" rims (he had 14" ones on the little trailer but the 15's fit...).

I'll see if I can find a number but no promises, it's a small rinky dink place but even adding in buying good rims and tires the prices are great.

18. Tracee Polcin

So do you see what I'm saying? You have 90+hp and we have maybe 70hp on a good day. It was taking that extra 20+hp to make up the difference of time.

19. fin1exp

Ya, but I am not an expert and I don't claim to be fast. [​IMG]
    I think the main discussion would be which bike would you learn QUICKER on. I agree, you would have to pick up the good habits to win with a 400(or any smaller bike) but yo uhave to pick them up in the C/B class as well. Which one is a better learning tool? Smaller bikes? I can't answer that question. All I know is that you are more than welcome to show me around the tracks and teach me how to go fast. [​IMG]
    Eric

20. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

I have a 4x8 open trailer that is practically brand new that I'm selling. You could tow it with anything.