Okay, I'm a tard

Discussion in 'General' started by 130Gunner, Dec 13, 2001.

1. 130Gunner

130Gunner Well-Known Member

I admit it, guilty as charged. Now that we have that out of the way, how the hell am I supposed to put these sharkskinz on my bike? I thought I was a little mechanically inclined, but apparently not. F4i, got sharkskinz today, everything is there and looks good/lines up/blah blah. Anyone got a link for some riveting tips? (Considering I have no idea how to use the damn things.) Open to any other helpful hints from the more experienced and slightly less retarded.

2. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

rivets?

You mean for the DZUS fastener locking plates? You need a pop riveter tool. $8 or so at a hardware store.

------------------
    James Greeson
    Senior Wannabe,
    GS Posse

3. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

You mean like a gunner on an AC130? [​IMG]

4. PKS Racing Services

PKS Racing Services Timing and Crewing

Gee, it used to take them a while before they made up their minds to be retards; 5 posts is some kind of record! If you've got anything to do with a Herc we'll take ya!

------------------
    www.pksracing.com

5. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Don't rivet body work. [​IMG]

buy Dzus fastners to secure sections of bodywork. Line up bodywork normally needs four hands to set in place and mark for drilling. then reuse factory rubber inserts and bolts to secure to frame.
    Or if you can figure out installing Dzus fastners at mounting points you could use those. This is difluct and is unique to each bike.

6. 130Gunner

SEE?! I told you guys I was retarded! Yeah, I meant the DZUS fasteners. (Hey, the instructions called them rivets.) With the rivet thing cleared up, I assume I still need the tool? And now another question arises, where exactly are some good places to put these things? Best guess? I can figure it out if its not anything scientific. There are some drill hole markings at the points the fairing bolted to the frame, so I assume I will use those as well as the DZUS? Ahhhh, the journey continues....

I didn't decide to be a retard, it just sort of happened. No one would think I was normal even I were - no one ever said racing nuts were supposed to be sane.

And yes, for those wondering, its 130Gunner as in AC-130. So I need to get this stuff fixed and ready so I can go to the track before its time to go on the USAF World Tour 2001-2002. 8^)

7. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Cool, go kick a$$!

8. 130Gunner

Okay, lets see here....1 105mm round. Signed,

Bruce Wilkins

Got it, anyone else? 8^)

9. PKS Racing Services

PKS Racing Services Timing and Crewing

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Put mine on a couple rounds of 20 mike-mike

------------------
    Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54 (with AT LEAST 80% Nitrogen in all my tires)
    A little slower in the "here and now"
    A whole lot faster in the "There I was..."

11. 130Gunner

I can see where this could go...

How about,

"WERA says hello" That should cover everyone here. heheheh

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

130, If you please, put the name of Doug Miller on one of the rounds. He was A friend of mine who I grew up with, a father of 4 girls all under 5 years old, a NY firemen, and he is still buried inside the World Trade. I think his wife and family would appreciate the thought.

Dave K

13. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Cool dude! I'll send a check for $25 to the Air Fence Fund in your name!

14. PKS

PKS Happiness is belt fed!

Cool idea Dave, and 130, you catch on quick! [​IMG]

------------------
    www.pksracing.com

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I'd kick in on the AFF for a round that says
    "WERA saiz AMF!"

------------------
    Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54 (with AT LEAST 80% Nitrogen in all my tires)
    A little slower in the "here and now"
    A whole lot faster in the "There I was..."

16. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

Mine came with most of the rivets attaced, HOWEVER... my pop rivets were too wide to fit the holes in the fastener, and couldn't find any at locl hardwares that would fit. Very frustrating, so I went and took the plastic fasterners off my old bodywork

17. 130Gunner

Wow! Didn't expect that. But don't feel obligated or anything - you guys are already paying my salary. 8^) I think the Air Fence fund is a great one, but I'd just as soon have you do something that doesn't cost a dime. In a year, when all the rah-rah has worn off - keep flying a flag when you can. (Not saying you didn't/wouldn't)

Thanks for the support folks! (Too bad they didn't teach me anything about DZUS fasteners and sharkskinz in survival school.)

18. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

If you have the kind of DZUS backing plates that have a spring metal clip, you don't even have to rivet them. Just drill a hole in the fairing parts, and slip the clip over hole. The DZUS fastener will hold them in place. Makes salvaging them when you total the fairings easier. [​IMG]

Your best bet is to place them in the same spots as OEM. There should already be locator "dimples" and them engineers usually know what they are doing.

Cool about the Gunship, are you one of the armament dudes or do you run the sensors?

------------------
    James Greeson
    Senior Wannabe,
    GS Posse

[This message has been edited by JamesG (edited 12-13-2001).]

19. 130Gunner

Dave - consider it done. There is a lot more of that sort of stuff going on than is reported on the news. Rest assured, they are GETTING THE MESSAGE. And someone, somewhere, will get Doug Miller's.

20. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Oops...got a little excited there...

I'll still donate the $25 in honor of the U.S. Air Force.

(And that comes from a former jarhead!)

[This message has been edited by Bruce Wilkins (edited 12-13-2001).]