1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK... You Laptop Guru

Discussion in 'General' started by Frenchier6, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop which I like but it's getting old and ready to get something new.

I need help on suggestions. Most of the things I do at home is:

1. With a Keyfab, I work thru home and on vacation so I need a laptop that is pretty good with safety/virus BS.

2. I take alot of picture for my away family

3. I do alot of power point work

4. Online search, emails, and of course Forum chat like WERA ;)

Work, pictures, email, and searching the web is pretty much it.

Please give me all the advice you can give. I like to go buy one without having to listen to some Story teller from the saleman/woman :D

2. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Check out Newegg and search for laptops in your price range. Read the reviews on the ones with 5 eggs and choose the one that best fits your needs.
    Lots of good stuff out there right now. :)

3. Bandit730

Bandit730 Racing neophyte

Sony Vaio are pretty nice laptops. Got one for my wife late last summer for her work. I think one of the first things you need to do is figure out how much money you want to spend on a new laptop and then from your lists of "must haves", go from there.

Now sure how far you are from the Micro Center up in NE Ohio but they have some pretty good deals and is where I bought my wife's Vaio.

This is going to sound pretty geeky but oh well. When looking at a laptop or any new computer, try to go for one with a higher Bus speed since everything connects to the bus in some manner.

HTH :beer:

4. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I'm on my second Vaio, had a "mini desktop" and just recently bought a laptop. My fiance has an hp that sucks, my family all have dells which are very hit and miss. I will probably always stick with Sony. The girl want's to get an apple, which I'm not against, I just didn't want to shell out for something I don't know how to use.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Whatever you get, if it gets a lot of use in dim lighting I highly recommend getting one with keys that light up. My biggest regret.

6. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

I'm a mac guy, but it sounds like you use the MS Office suite quite a bit, in which case you'll definitely want to stay PC because the mac version is horrendous.

Of all the PC laptops I've ever used, the Sony Vaio has always been my favorite, so I'd probably just go and get a new Vaio if I were you.

Of course, you COULD get a mac and try using iWork, but it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle for you.

7. Frenchier6

I do love my Vaio but it's now on its 5th year and I like to keep this one for my 7 year old who's pretty dang good using it (those kids are born with computer on their brain LOL)

I did check the new vaio and I like it but I wasn't sure if they were anything better out there. Yes, the MAC is awesome but I like to be compatible with work as I use my laptop alot while away.

Thanks for all of your advice :up:

8. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Hi Frenchie my lovely friend!

I bought one of these a month or so again, replacing my previous Vaio:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i5+Processor+-+VPCS111FM/S/9999124400050012.p?id=pcmprd124400050012&skuId=9999124400050012&st=sony%20vaio&lp=8&cp=2

So far I am exceptionally impressed. It's small, light, lightning-fast, with many very cool features. Screen isn't huge, but that's part of the tradeoff for having something small and light for travel. Huge hard drive, and best performance of any computer I've ever used.

9. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

If you are willing to part with the coin,MacBook Pros are nice.I dig mine.

10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I too have a Vaio but just bought this from advice given by my computer geek bud. My usage mirrors yours.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220699

It was $100 cheaper a couple of weeks ago. So far, it has been great and it cost less when comparing to other brands. I also bought a clickfree 500 gig back up.

11. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

Best Buy.

12. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i bought a acer from newegg, its a big sucker, 17 inch screen, surround, subwoofer, s video out, it works pretty good, its loaded up with alot of ram and a large hd, it was like 600 off list price

13. Frenchier6

Hey Bwhip... my sweet friend ... Will I see you at Grattan :up:

BTW... I can't open the site you gave me... Are you playing game with me? LOL

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

MacBook Pro

15. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

16. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Hey sweetie, I sure hope to see you at Grattan! If I know you'll be there, that'll definitely be that much more motivation for me to make the trip. Two-up, maybe? :cool:

Sorry about the link. The VAIO I got was the Sony VAIO Laptop with Intel® Core™ i5 Processor: VPCS111FM/S. Around $1K at BestBuy.

17. Frenchier6

Thank you guys for all the great info... I printed the info you gave me and will check them out at best buy this weekend. I will let you know of what I fell for LOL

@ BWhip... I will be there if you are coming :D (seriously plan on coming for 1 or 2 days. Need to battle that place LOL). And YES YES YES on the 2UP... You owe me :D

18. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Hmmm. Frenchier6. 2Up. YES YES YES.

You trying to get me all excited, or what??!! :D

19. Frenchier6

me........ never ;)