1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, so CCS isn't the only organization with ridiculous Rulebook....

Discussion in 'General' started by CB186, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Except for the BSA 4-4 midway special on my savage 22 everything else I own doesn't qualify. I suppose I could get one of the cheaper athlon scopes but for that game I'd want a fine christmas tree reticle that focuses to 25 yards or less and can dial up and down accurately. Not too many cheap scopes qualify using that criteria.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Finding a scope with that type of reticule would be the hardest part, I assume. I'm not spending $700 on a scope for it either.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So I ended up with a 10/22 this week and through the Vortex Crossfire 2-7 BDC from my daughters muzzle loader on it. Well, I have to say that the gun shoots great, but I'm definitely under scoped.
    I'm keeping this as a budget build, so I'm thinking about sending in my Leupold VX-2 6-38x40 in to have the reticle swapped out to a Impact 29, 32 or 60 MOA.
    Any thoughts on those?

4. Newsshooter

How close does it focus? Here's an option similar to what I put on my nephews 10/22 that I built for them. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ide-focus-illuminated-aplr2-mil-reticle-matte

5. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

That looks like the perfect .22lr scope! So a little offtopic here, you like the Athlons a lot it seems. I'm a big fan of quality budget optics and I favor SWFA. I've never tried Athlon, have you ever shot with any SWFA scopes and if so can you compare the two? I think the reticle on the Cronus BTR looks awesome, I might get one of these.

Chad, those .22 matches are awfully tempting. My summer is too busy with the new house but I'm mighty tempted to jump on this next year. I might come watch one and see how it looks.

6. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Yes you are. The CZ455 is rediculously good right out of the box so it is unfair to use in base class imo. The 1022 is well a 1022. It can be made awesome but even the target ones are lacking out of the box.

FWIW I just bought the rpr (rim fire) for open class because I like the idea of being able to have a normal bolt throw. I don’t really care if it’s super accurate or not the NRL22 is about having fun. Also I plan on putting a more expensive optic on it anyway. I’ll take my serious shooting to a real PRS match.

7. Newsshooter

I haven't used an SWFA, but from everything I've seen it's a good solid scope. If Ilya Koshkin recommends it you can't go wrong. I have two Athlons, a cronus BTR and an Ares, both have the same reticle which I really like, the new ARES will have the floating dot like the nightforce. The Ares is tight on the eyebox at 27X but fine at 20x, turrets have tracked well, clicks could be more distinct. Zero stop doesn't get much easier to set. Glass is better than the Burris XTRII I had before it. Cronus is similar on the turrets but easy to get behind at 29x, glass is great, in the ball park with the Razor Gen II. If it had the turrets of the burris it would be perfect.

blkduc likes this.
  8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

It was the first one I had been to(or any shooting match). It was pretty laid back, and a lot of fun. $15 entry, a $8 box of ammo and 3-4 hours was a good way to spend a Saturday.
    Bring a gun if you have one or borrow mine, but don't come to watch.

10. blkduc

You're right, that would be kind of dumb and I know better than that. I'll do one of them...just not sure when I can right now since I'm stupid busy until mid summer. Thanks.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So I took it out and checked where it focuses down to. I think it will be OK down to about 16 yards, 20 for sure. I don't know if they put targets any closer that 25, but if they do, I can manage(it would still be better than the scope I shot with yesterday). The Leupold is currently on my Tikka, waiting for my Vortex to arrive. I'd be able to reuse the rings too, so $160 to replace the reticle vs $350+ for the new scope.
    There is another match in 2 weeks, so I think I'll swap the Leopold over and just dial for anything beyond 50 yards and see how it does. Not sure if I'll care about 14x compared to the 18x, but it check that too.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I ended up with a used 10/22 Target for what I thought was a decent price($325) and hopefully will be getting $50 back because of muzzle damage because of a back packing job by the seller. I stripped it down, cleaned it and did a quick trigger job(3.5lbs, nice and crisp), reused the crappy dovetail rings that it came with ran it.
    I shoots pretty well and I like the semi auto for matches. Here is the last grouping from when I sighted it in indoors. IMAG2226.jpg

surfingsk8r likes this.
  13. blkduc

Not bad at all for a used 10/22! Nice shooting!

fixerflyer likes this.
  14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, I was worried it would shoot crappy.
    Thanks. They're kinda fun to blast away with.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Today is not my day. Nothing to do with scopes is working out for me. First The Viper for my 6.5 is backordered and now Leupold says they cant put any of the reticles that I want, into my VX-2. The Athlon that @Newsshooter recommended for my 22 is in MIL, which I dont want(want to stay with MOA, like my 6.5), so that option isnt panning out either.....

16. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

That’s a pretty clean target if you ask me. I’m sure you will have a blast doing the NRL22. In the event I was not clear the 1022 is not a bad rifle at all. It just doesn’t compare to the 455 out of the box imo. Very happy to see another person happy with their gun purchase.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Stage 2

IMAG2228.jpg

18. Newsshooter

Needs some low rings, going to be hard to get a correct cheekweld.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, it is a bit tall. I'm shooting it tomorrow to see how the scope is. I pull the scope and rings of the 6.5 and dropped them on here. Maybe I'll build it up with the foam and neoprene sleeve kit I have laying around from my daughters shotgun.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The bore sighted I ordered showed up today. Glad it did, because I found I have to cut my picatinny rail to 20+moa to get the scope into it adjustment range.
    This vx-2 seems "off".....

It never ends.