OK, how about cheap (inexpensive) wine?

Discussion in 'General' started by LD, Sep 30, 2016.

1. LD

LD I do science

Since we're on the topic of being cheap. My wife and I love wine. I love bourbon too, but I don't mind spending $60 on a good bottle since it lasts me a long time.

We'll have a bottle or two of wine per week, and have some asshole friends who spoil us on nice wine- not even going to mention how much they spend on a bottle. Generally, $50 and up, I can't tell the difference.

I wouldn't mind keeping it to $10 for a halfway not shitty bottle- anybody got any good ones in this price range? I've been finding a lot of mediocre wines at the price point, but holding out hope.
    My wife's current favorite:

[​IMG]

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think it's like $16 to $20 but Phantom by Bogle is a must buy (if it isn't completely sold out now).

I'm not a wine drinker but I like that.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't drink wine but I've always heard 2 buck chuck (now 3 or 4 buck but still) is great for the price point. We've got some from the last case we bought for Evelynes mom and I cook with it.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

6. ton

ton Arf!

this has been my go-to cheap red for many years. it now comes in a 3L box, also.

[​IMG]

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think the 2016 beaujolais nouveau rolls out in a few weeks. Good guzzling wine and cheap from what I've been told.

Buy a bunch and Don't try and age this stuff, it doesn't get better with age, just older. :D

8. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Get some One Hope Merlot. We buy that stuff by the case now. Usually it sells for about $10/bottle, but if you buy a case of it at Harris Teeter or whatever grocery store has it, you get 10 or 15% off. I'm not much of a wine person, but God that stuff is good! Finishes well too. Plus, One Hope donates a portion of their proceeds to charity with each sale. They donate to a different charity with each variety of wine they sell.

LD likes this.
  9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

We like the Smoking Loon Pinot Noir in that price range. Not as complex as a more expensive Pinot Noir, but better than most at the price.
    The Piccini Chianti is good as well.
    The Williamsburg Governor's White and 2 Shilling Red are a good buys as well if you can get them in your area.
    For a little better white, the AtoZ Pinot Gris is very nice, but closer to $14.

None of the above will compare to a good $50 bottle, but they are enjoyable for everyday.

We tried the boxed wines and some of them were good. Then we got a couple of bad boxes of a same brand and variety that was good in the past. That kind of turned us off to boxed wine.

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i go through a couple bottles of this stuff a week. $10 on sale, for the BIG bottle. $7 usually for the "regular" size, and it's got a cork, not a twist top.
    I pour it over a tall glass of ice cubes. it's almost like kool-aid.
    It's from California, a little bit of an oakey taste. they have white and others, but i like a bold red.
    (this isn't hearsay either.. ;) )

[​IMG]

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Trapiche is about $7 -$10/bottle. Argentine reds. Cabernet, Malbec, Pinot,
    Santa Rita 120 is about $8-$12/bottle. Chilean reds and whites.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

$10-$20 is not a cheap bottle of wine. In most parts of the world, you can get a great bottle of wine for $3. We have it pretty bad here in the USA. My go-to everyday is a bottle of $4.99 Banrock Station merlot.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This lady I know in New Jersey used to buy wine in a box labeled "Cheap Wine." Her kids and I had so many laughs over that stuff. Her husband was an orthopedic surgeon. They could afford wine.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Chicken Wine[​IMG]

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

TJ's is a good place to buy cheap OK wine. They also have some cheap assed port that is drinkable.:D

17. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

tough answer as it depends on what you like and where your palette is right now.

as a long time wine snob who's had great tasting opportunities over the years (multiple vintages of First Growths and high-end shit from working in a fancy steakhouse, toured Napa with friends that own a winery who used to work out there, all that happy horseshit)...we always go for more traditionally Old World style wines. Dry whites and complex reds...blah blah...wine snob words...blah blah. I'm regularly stunned at how 'not horrible' Black Box wines are...their Chardonnay is my wife's every day drinker. Good body, fairly crisp...not an overly oaked butter bomb. $15-20 at Total Wine for a box that equals 4 bottles. Their reds are simple but enjoyable enough for the price point. I really wish they were bad, like Bota Box etc...but they just aren't.

I'm with you on bourbon being a better value. $50-100 for a bottle that lasts months vs. the same for a tad more than 4 fucking glasses.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This made me laugh. Have you looked in art studio? :D

19. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

fucking auto-correct...

where's Bob Ross with his Titanium White and happy trees?

20. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Fat Bastard.

pjzocc likes this.