1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins Update Kit????

Discussion in 'General' started by kris, Jul 3, 2013.

1. kris

kris Well-Known Member

I have the current Gen Ohlins forks on my RSV4 Factory APRC, 2012 model.

My tuner is currently replacing the fork seals and oil, bit of a freshen up.

He said there is a 'kit' that upgrades them to the latest spec, does anyone know what this would consist of and know anything about it?

Cheers

2. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

When you say the current gen Ohlins forks do you mean the ones that came on it?

3. kris

kris Well-Known Member

yes, im not aware of any update kit

Unless the OEM forks are 20mm and the kit is a 25mm piston kit

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. Huey130

The orginal forks are "Ohlins" (notice the quotes) but are made to oem specifications for street use by street riders. Meaning for one thing the range of adjustment is very small (even though you can turn them a lot they don't do as much). It sounds like he's putting in the stuff to turn them into what you thought they were.

5. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... I do know the range of compression adjustment is very small, as I'm at the limit of compression already.

Ill see what he's wanting to do, technically first.

6. kris

kris Well-Known Member

7. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

i had the ohlin valving put in on my old bike, its a decent upgrade for $500. Not anywhere near as good as putting a 30mm cartridge kit in

8. Huey130

I had a customer get soooo mad when I was trying to tell him this.
    "No! It says Ohlins! This is factory! Like the Wsb teams use. See it shows how many championships they've won here."

9. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I've heard so many dealers say "it has ohlins suspension, best in the world"
    not quite the real ohlins, I understand your trying to sell a bike, but lets be honest

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Sounds like Ed pointing at the Ninja sticker on his 250...!

11. kris

kris Well-Known Member

I had the Ohlins Valve kit on my CBR 600 and then I went to the 30mm kit. I preferred the 25mm valve kit to be honest.

THe other option is TTX25, but I'm not sure I'd see the benefit yet

12. :crackup:

Hence my reasoning for getting the R model, then going with an aftermarket 30mm kit (and TTX rear). You pay an extra $5k for the "Factory", but you still don't get race spec components. (And because I wanted the Matte Black scheme)

To the OP, you can put an aftermarket 30mm cartridge kit in the OEM Ohlins Forks if you want. And that OEM "Ohlins" shock can bring about $500-ish on eBay, which could go towards a TTX. :)

13. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Im not a fan of the 30mm kit feeling... I was slower on it then revalved 25mm forks

14. You could always drop the coin on the aftermarket Ohlins forks. :D

15. Huey130

Revalved 20mm or 25 mm drop ins. But I got the point.

16. kris

kris Well-Known Member

i think ill just opt for the Supersport valve/piston kit and see how that goes..