1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official WERA Dirty Bike Trip - 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Apr 19, 2017.

1. My other offer in the dirt bike thread for people to come ride for the weekend up in Big Bear got me thinking about wanting to do a WERA dirty bike trip. I'm thinking we can do a central location and everyone can meet, chip in for an Air BnB cabin in the wilderness somewhere and we can just go ride for a few days somewhere.

Anyone interested? I was thinking possibly Colorado since that should be the most central for all of us but I am open to suggestions. I'm in SoCal. Someone mentioned British Columbia which sounds like an awesome idea but definitely not central for anyone. Time frame would be 3 months out in July sometime.

My 450sx is NOT plated but I can get a plate through SD if we need them. But I would rather not do any road riding.

I'll update this thread some more ideas, cabins, places to ride, etc. If anyone has any ideas post them up, lets make it happen!

inpayne likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Colorado is central? To whom? Everyone that lives west of the Mississippi? :Poke:
    Holy crap, dude. :whoosh:
    :D

3. Yeah, It's definitely closer to me than to you.

I also said post up ideas, but hey reading comprehension doesn't ever seem to be your thing anyways. :crackup:

4. fastfreddie

Fair enough. You could research some offroad parks. My suggestion isn't exactly in your neighborhood, but it is centrally located...east of the Mississippi. :D
    http://trailsheaven.com/

5. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Hatfield McCoy trails would be fun. But I'd love to try and ride more out west and in the Rockies!

6. fastfreddie

Here's a start on "centrally " located...
    This is from a Jeep forum, but that doesn't mean they don't do quads or bikes...y'all have to check.
    ORV Parks Midwest

7. fastfreddie

Only found three worth lookin' at...
    Hot Springs ORV Park | 1254 acres
    Rock Creek Racing and Recreation Off Road Park 880 acres
    Byrd's Adventure Center 800(?) acres

At the least, these parks have amenities on site. The acreage isn't much and you're certainly not gonna find any views of heaven, but you're also not gonna be in the middle of nowhere should someone break.

For a few days of riding, it's nice to be able to easily return to places you enjoyed playing at the day before or earlier that day. Plenty to explore in the mean time, the trail systems are well established. And, yes, I checked for alcohol. One place simply said that they recommended waiting until after riding. :D

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

9. http://atvtrails.org/co/Red_Conex.html

I was thinking something like this and getting a cabin that has connected property to something like this so we can just leave the cabin and just ride.

10. fastfreddie

Depending on your intended pace for this Colorado mountain trip, you might want to ban carbed bikes...or not. :D
    They're gonna be usin' a jet chart, a whole selection of jets, a thermometer, an altimeter and a topographical map with planned stops every couple o' thousand feet in elevation. ...aaaaannnd, just bring somethin' to burn. :crackup:

11. Yeah, I mean I don't want to re-jet my bike everyday. The highest elevation we ride out here is usually 5k max. This weekend we'll be at 6800. But my bike runs perfect at 0-5000k ish right now. The biggest issue I really have with my bike is because it's electric start only when it's below 50 degrees out it's definitely harder to start and I've killed the battery on it before.

12. fastfreddie

I think you'll be around 9000' in the Red Cone area, cresting at 12000'+. That's gonna call for some lean-ass jetting, not to mention your own oxygen requirements. Definitely not for the faint of heart but, yeah, could be epic. Prolly not a good choice for carbs...who wants to be bothered throughout the day(s) keeping it properly jetted? Gonna have to bring a pit crew of two-stroke racers...they live for that shit. :D

13. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

so its "Official"? does that mean Mongo's bringing the DRZ? lol

14. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

That looks awesome. Yeah I want to do some riding I've never done. That would be cool. My bike thankfully is FI :)

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

DRZ is long gone - and it did trips out west. May still do them for all I know.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I presume this will help. Bring a can of starter fluid. Just put in a squirt on those cold mornings when below 50. How easy is it to fog a little in front of the air filter inlet?

17. Harder than it should but but not impossible. Ill give that a shot this weekend if it dips below 50 in the AM.

18. I just want it to be some back country type things where its exploring more than I want a pre-set trail. Trails are cool when I'm by myself and want to stay on the beaten path so someone can find me when I high side myself into oblivion. :crackup:

Boman Forklift and inpayne like this.