1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Office chair recommendation

Discussion in 'General' started by GRH, Jul 26, 2023.

1. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I have a couple steelcase leap v2 and a Herman Miller embody chair. All bought used.
    Still paid way too much for office chairs but they all do the job.
    Steelcase is more soft and couchlike in feel.
    Embody is more firm but not as firm as the aeron mesh chairs I've tried briefly.
    I added a headrest to the embody and it's my current chair. It's good... all the adjustments from recline angle, tension, seat height, seat pan fore aft adjustment, and armrest adjustments are well thought out and useful.
    That's the main difference imo. Many cheap "gaming chairs" off amazon have adjustments but are not quite right in terms if position or ease of use.

There are several used options for these chairs. I live in Chicago where companies make a living recycling the millions of chairs bought and sold in offices in the area.
    I have also wanted to try to take one apart and put some high quality foam in.

I'm always looking out for a steelcase gesture chair on fb marketplace...

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Stan up desk.. I got one about 8 years ago and never looked back. It's not always easy to adjust to, but I love it.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Where do you find them that cheap? I have a new salesman starting in a week and I bet he is pushing 350-400lbs so I’m going to need a good chair for him.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  4. Boman Forklift

I have a Steelcase chair that I’ve been sitting on since 04-05. The cloth is finally torn, but everything else is still great. Although it does squeak now when moving back and forth to lean back or forward.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Sounds more like you’ll need a forklift. :Poke:

969, Phl218 and GRH like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Craigslist... lol

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

A manual pallet jack should suffice. :)

8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I’ve had this one since 2018 when I started working from home full time. Given that gamers spend 10-12 hours at a time, it made sense to me.

@Boman Forklift they have a “Titan” chair for up to 325lbs. I’m 6’ and #260

https://secretlab.co/collections/titan-series#titan_2020_napa-black

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

As a gamer, I spend a LOT of my free time sitting at a desk. I picked up a Secret Labs Titan about 2 years ago and I LOVE this thing. As with anything, you get what you pay for.

Jedb likes this.
  10. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I went all bench height desks and I stand now. I prefer it way more.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shut up skinny.

12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Just following up, I did get the chair in the link. It's better quality than I expected, on par with the the Herman Miller Aeron but with an added head and foot rest. It's got alot of adjustability with excellent lumbar support. no criticisms. I found there was a $80 coupon so that was a bonus as well.
    Edit: it comes with 2 sets of wheels, hard plastic and roller blade. I installed the roller blade for a hard floor

Boman Forklift and Jed like this.
  13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I found I am far more productive when I stand. And I hate the veridesk units that sit on top of the desk because you lose the workspace. The other benefit is that it causes people to spend way less time in my office. I have chairs and a couch, but they are in and out way faster than when I had a sit down desk.

It's interesting because even when we go out to eat, I prefer a hightop so I can stand.

14. Jed

Jed mellifluous

You youngins with your good knees, ankles, heels, Achilles, etc. I tried using my cycling desk for a bit but just can't get the same output as sitting. All day staring at code and documents and console logs and test cases and balancing egos...