Off Season Training

Discussion in 'General' started by BHopper 5, Dec 17, 2003.

1. BHopper 5

BHopper 5 Well-Known Member

Well I'm back in the gym after about 6-9 months off due to a torn rotator cuff from lateral dumb bell raises. I was wondering how many of you lift (Not 12 oz cans either). What's body part do yall focus on i.e.. Legs, Cardio, Arms, Chest? I have to force myself to do my cardio and legs and hate every minute of it but both help greatly while on the bike. Do you do it for racing or to help with racing or for body improvement. What supplement's taken out side of the normal vitamins? I sure could tell a difference while I was not working and riding verse while I was in the gym and riding.

2. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

An osteopath advised me to try not to overly strengthen any area more than others. Also, he said stretching and flexibility would extend my racing career much more so than brute strength. Being strong is good. But getting too buff for your leathers will mean buying new ones.

3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I hit the gym about 5 days a week. I do a mix of circuit training with weights doing 4 sets with 12-15reps. I don't try to put on mass at all. For cardio, I do stairs and jump rope. You ain't shit unless you can jump rope for 10mins. :D I don't feel it makes a big difference in my riding. A dirtbike made a bigger difference for me. The only supplement I take is Phosphagen HP, which is basically a creatine transporter. It helps prolong workouts and helps muscle recovery.

4. BHopper 5

Kris....How did you like that HP. I used to take the Phosphagen and Phosphgain back in High School tasted like cake powder that smeel still makes me sick to the stomach. I have seen the HP but never bought it. I have used CellTech (using now and will continue) and Trac that was ok good for the younger people due to time release and no loading. Another draw back for Trac in that its costly and sometimes hard to find.

5. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

My routine varies but stays pretty close to this:
    All are 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps.

Monday: chest and 25 min cardio
    Tues: back and 25 min cardio
    Wed: legs
    Thurs: shoulders and 25 min cardio
    Fri: Arms and 25 min cardio
    Sat: 40 min cardio
    Sun: off

I eat 6 meals a day totaling 2500 calories. It is super clean food too, like chicken breast, turkey breast, yams, flank steak, etc.

Supplements: l-glumtamine, creatin monyhydrate, multi-vitamin, Hydroxy-Cut, and glucosamine/chrodroitin.

During the season I will drop to almost pure cardio to eliminate the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).

I weighed 230 in March and now I weigh 189. Plus, now I am not tired after 5 laps like in the past.

6. My routine...

Monday-Thursday, maybe a couple beers after work, eat right before bed.
    Friday and Saturday-usually up late, eat really late, more than a few beers, then bed.
    Sunday-rarely move from the couch, eating chips, nachos, etc. I do get up to cheer if someone makes a good play in the football game or if I spilled my beer on myself.

OK, that was my old schedule, now just cardio 3-4 times a week.

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I used to lift weights but now I've switched to almost exclusively cardio. I run 4-6 miles per day 4-5 days per week. I usually do a long run (7+ miles) or a long bike ride (2+ hours) on the weekend. I supplement that with push ups, pull ups, and sit ups. I've leaned down alot with this but I still feel just as strong on the bike. My problem every season is getting my back into riding shape but I've never found a lifting regime that took the place of race miles.

The only supplement I take is Glucosomine-Chondroitin for the extra wear and tear on my knees. I have knee problems that I have to monitor closely so they don't sideline me. The G-C has helped alot!

8. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to ask you how that is going...;)

9. YAM#849

The bowflex is getting used, but not as often as it should. ;) Excuse #1: I just changed jobs and my schedule is still out-of-whack.
    Excuse #2: I'm lazy.

I'll be using it a lot more now, since it's getting a bit cold to get much outdoor exercise. I do have some mtn biking planned on my days off over Christmas. :)

10. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

:cool: I hope you have a good holiday and you get to use it more in the future.

11. YAM#849

And a happy holiday to you, Lee, and Emma!

So, is Emma counting the days?:)

PS Maybe PM me that answer, I don't want to threadjack the gym discussion...

12. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

Whawhawhat!???!?!!?!???

Uhhh.... Did you move? Otherwise what is your definition of cold??? Anything under 70? :Poke:

My furnace quit working and it was 45 degrees in the house Monday morning. That wasn't even all that cold for this time of year... :D (was happy to get the heat back though...)

13. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I like it. I got off of it about a month ago, and my workouts went to shit. The HP tastes good with some juice IMO. As with any other type of creatine monohydrate, you need to drink a lot of water. Hangover's will be violent as hell due to dehydration. :(

The only drawback to supplementing with creatine is it causes severe arm pump. I can barely pinch a mm of skin off my forearm when I get off the bike. Hurts like hell.

14. TJ

TJ Livin in a bubble

Don't forget the throwing up on Saturday morning...great ab workout......oh yeah that is the English guy.

15. YAM#849

It's 50 degrees, raining, and the wind is about 20 mph. I'm not playing outside. I feel every injury from the past 20 years when I go out there.

16. BHopper 5

Kris juice and creatine are not supposed to be mixed from my readings. I know the fruit punch Cell-Tech is good with just water but if you do the searving size 2 scoups it is kinnda strong and has a slight burn mix it into a larger glass and chug away

17. Rhoades

Rhoades Well-Known Member

I have been pretty serious about the bodybuilding (nothing spectacular though). I lift 6 days a week and mix cardio through out the week. As for the set/reps- I lift real heave with low reps since I seem to get the best results from this.
    I usually use creatine, tons of protein, and an occasional ECA stack for energy and to cut the bodyfat. Right now I am 5'7" 200lbs, bench 305, squat around 330 (bad knees!) and am stuck around 10 percent bodyfat. I have never tried training specifically for riding since I figure anything is better then nothing!!

18. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Fructose in the juice increases the uptake of creatine monohydrate. I've never heard its not supposed to be mixed. The HP says on the back to take it with juice.

19. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

This is absolutely correct. An addition of a quick acting carb (fructose) speeds the uptake of creatine. I believe the theory goes that the creatine basically hitches a ride with the fructose which travels through the system at a very high rate.

woo hoo, that subscription to muscle and fitness is paying off now:D

20. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

There was just an article in the paper recently about how sports drinks are the best for rehydrating because glucose and sucrose are readily absorbed, while fructose (found in fruit juices) tended to cause cramping.

Just thought I'd muddy the waters a bit. ;)