1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd ball credit card charges

Discussion in 'General' started by TurboBlew, Jul 15, 2020.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Has anyone gotten any oddball charges on their credit card(s) from Amazon for $16.98???

Was looking at some charges for this billing period and that one was done on July 11th. The dispute process tends to be a PIA with Citi so I was suprised they credited the charge immediately. I looked at a totally different card... sure enough an identical charge. I dont have any subscriptions or leave my cards on file with retailers like amazon or ebay.
    The only thing I keep an active card on is paypal.
    Any idears?

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Yep. Amazon and Netflix.

Disputed the charges and never had an issue with getting the credit back.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

It’s a Scam ... a lot of companies are doing it . It is usually small amounts and most people don’t even notice it on there monthly statement . I had a problem with two different credit reporting agencies . I never applied for credit or anything. I noticed the charges on the 3 month in a row that charges were made . I called them and they could not tell me what they were for . Credit card company took care of it , but WTF ... if they do it to 100 people and only 20 or so catch it , that is a Hell of a good windfall profit !!

sdg and TurboBlew like this.
  4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

yeah, I think I caught it a long time ago and forgot to follow up on it. I just noticed a "Prime Video" charge for $9.75 on my most recent statement. I'm going to do a deep dig of all odd transactions here soon to find how often it's happened.

5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Apparently , most credit card companies will only go back 30 days or so for disputes so you really have to stay on top of things . In my case , I was wintering in Florida and didn’t have access to my statements . I now do online statements ,

6. TurboBlew

thats what caught my attention... I hadnt paid for a video rental since blockbuster was an 800lb gorilla... so at least 20yrs. On stuff that needs a card on file or trial I just use those prepaid cards my dad likes to give out.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get them all the time. ruboneout.com, shortfilipinowomen.org, orientaltwins.net. I have no clue where they come from.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Has Dave K ever been alone with your wallet?

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

:crackup::bow:

10. TurboBlew

what about www.guysonbronchos.oRg?

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

You are the first with knowledge of this domain name. NTTAWWT.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I would have never know had I not checked Credit Karma and saw a increase of $10.68 on one om my cards I never use.
    It was from amazon UK

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not with Covid.
    I just disputed a charge that was 3 months old. Could not get a live person until now.
    Said on their page to try and work it out with the vendor 1st as it could take 6 months to solve.

14. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

More than likely your card number was compromised. Had it happen a few times. Cap 1 took care of it lickety split. Last one some jackweed (and I'mbetting it was swiped at the local Walmart since I used it there and havent touched it in 5 months prior. Day after I used it, there was 3 hotel bookings in Birmingham, AL and a bunch of smaller ones. Sycronycity caught the small ones. Let the $2000 in 3 different hotel reservations all placed on the same day go through. Took a week to get this fixed.

15. TurboBlew

how would that work unless they cloned the card or your identity??

16. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Lots of ways. Malware in the card reader was a biggie in recent years. They got thousands of Target customers and some other stores that way. Skimmers added to card readers that you didn't see when you swiped, etc.

17. TurboBlew

I know that happened to me at a gas pump a few years ago. On the hotel thing Im confused... Ive always had to produce a card & ID in order to check in.

18. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

I believe it is more like 60 days from the statement date.

19. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I think they just reserved them online. Personally I'd like to see public death sentences for those fuckers.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

All you need is the info on the card which can be written down when the card is
    out of your sight, like when the waitress takes it to the register. No high tech needed.