1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O/T: Computer Power Supply?

Discussion in 'General' started by TrentThomas, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Trent, if you hear beeps but see no display then the POST is failing. The number of beeps will tell you what's wrong. Count them, they will be documented in the user guide for your system.

2. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Thanks, Frank.

I think there is only one beep.

I tried the drive as a slave in another machine here at the office, and it acts exactly the same. Just a slow clicking noise.

Looks like a physical problem with the drive, and also something fried inside the Emachine.

I don't care about the Emachine at this point - it needed replacing anyway, but losing those photos is truly saddening. The more I investigate, it looks like recovery in a clean room will be more like $600 - $2000.

:(

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

All is not lost...if the box isn't POSTing, there's a good chance that the HDD is ok (although that 'painful clicking' didn't sound too good). If oyu're going to get a new machine either way, you can try to install this HDD into the new box and see if you can access the data on it.

4. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Regrettably,

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oops...sorry about that...I guess I missed that part.