1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NYC to VIR - least terrible route?

Discussion in 'General' started by jimfowler, Jun 11, 2015.

1. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

going to vir this weekend. 95 south is generally terrible once you hit northern virginia. 81 is kinda out of the way (additional ~75 miles so sayeth google maps). anybody do this drive regularly enough to have a proven route?

thanks.

- jim

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There really isn't a good way that I've found.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've taken both routes. The time I didn't take 95 and went 81 our buddies did the opposite. They got stuck in lots of traffic most of the way down 95 and it was a PITA they said. 81 was far more scenic and we didn't run into a bit of traffic. The drawback is that its a bit more miles and way more hills to go up and down and we happened to be towing a decently big trailer at the time so we sucked down ALOT of gas.

The next time I went we did 95 there and back and it wasn't bad at all, and obviously 95 is far less hilly. Only issue we ran into was around the vicinity of DC, but that's to be expected.

4. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

81 to 64e to 250e to 151s to 6e to 29s. Your GPS will fill in the gaps. The lower blood pressure makes up for the tolls on 95, and 29 avoids the hills.

5. RoadRash49

RoadRash49 Well-Known Member

Take 295 South through NJ, cross the Delware Memorial Bridge, Take 13 south, it's one of the first exits after the bridge, run that down to Route 40,take 40 to 50/301. 50/301 will take you all the way to Richmond. From Richmond you can get either 95 and either stay on that or cross over to 85. I've done it at night and it wasn't bad at all. Of course most nights 95 can be ok too.

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

A non-terrible route to VIR? Do tell!

:D

7. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Through VA I take Rt15/360 all the way to South Boston.

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

What time are you leaving?
    Driving, riding, or towing?
    If towing, what is the truck/trailer combo?

9. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Helicopter

10. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

If you're doing day driving, I take 81. As said previously, more mileage but a better drive. If it's later at night/overnight I take 95 and take 695 (eastern side) of Baltimore. One bridge to cross, but a lot less traffic. DC, you're fucked anytime/any direction so just accept that fact.

11. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

leaving after work on saturday...approximately 5 pm. maybe i won't hit horrible northern va traffic? then again, i've hit shitty traffic at the weirdest times on 95 south.

12. RoadRash49

RoadRash49 Well-Known Member

Leaving Queens on a Saturday at 5PM you'll probably have the traffic getting across into Jersey, some on 295, I would expect traffic in Wilmington just because it's Wilmington.... shouldn't be too terrible .

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

From Summit I always took 85 to either 64 to 29 or I have jumped off I think on 60 over to 29 then it all the way down to Danville.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:stupid: 29S is a nice desolate State highway.

15. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Mongo
    , 64e to 250/151/6/29 It cuts out the mountains on 60, it also goes through the Virginia Breweries tour area.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah that sounds more like what I did the second time - running the RV up the mountain on 60 was...interesting :eek: :D