Now the restaurants are starting to close...

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Mar 13, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Only the dining rooms. People can still do drive-thru, curbside delivery, and home delivery.

XFBO likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'll keep an eye out for it next time I run up there. There's a small chain around here named Santinis that does a killah parm sandwiches and their Italian subs are pretty damn okay. We usually get it after one of my kid's practices.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, so the tipped people who can't get even close to the same amount in unemployment are all fucked.

YamahaRick, tony 340 and fastedyamaha like this.
  4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Sucks for them all the way around. They're also the least likely to financially afford treatment for being infected.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know I can't. I don't have the deductible, the emergency fund is going to be needed for normal bills.

6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

No kidding. Corp still gets revenue though. Jeez.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Lots of sectors in the economy are going to hurt for a while. I am sure I am leaving some out, but here is a start:
    Everything entertainment (except what is consumed inside the house), sports venues (even the non-entertainment ones), fitness centers, conferences, all travel, restaurants, beauty shops, spas, nail salons, barbers, real estate agents, transit workers (DC Metro has cut back to weekend hours), home improvement, anyone that comes into your home to do work (plumber, electrician, house cleaners, etc.), valet parking attendants, parking garages & lots, service stations, gas stations, car dealers, retail stores for anything except food and cleaning supplies.

A local gas station here is even doing full service fueling to try to get / keep customers. No extra cost.

Entertainment includes everything from top artists and sports figures to the ticket takers and bathroom cleaners. Same with travel, everything from the Airlines CEOs to the bathroom cleaners, cruise ship staff and the guy selling flowers at the airport.

So do the cooks, the person taking the orders, the folks doing Uber Eats delivery, and maybe the fuel station that provides the Uber Eats driver's fuel. Maybe the restaurant stays in business so the servers have a job to come back to in a couple months. Better than nothing and way better than having the disease spread faster than the medical system can deal with like in Italy. I heard our respirators per capita is lower than Italy's.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No need to go there, they'll be absolutely hurting too. It does help them keep on everyone possible and maybe if there is enough to go demand they'll be able to keep some of the tipped staff on as a lot of places they prep the go orders anyway. There will be a lot of places out of business if this lasts even month corporate and smaller.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And with the belt tightening that is sure to come from all those previously mentioned sectors suffering reduced business/revenue, most people will be reintroduced to the joys of cooking.

Invest in Julia Childs reprints! :D

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly that wouldn't work, they'll all do what I do and hit the googles :D

pickled egg likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The people making the food in those restaurants are probably among the members of society
    who are most likely to catch and spread the virus so I don't see how it makes sense to home
    deliver the virus or hand it out at the drive-thru window. I was a restaurant manager, I know
    what that demographic is like. Basic human hygiene is something many of them are not in the habit of.

Metalhead likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Time will result in dead virus so it's technically better than touching the same plate they touched.

I also don't know where/when you worked in restaurants but while things may get messy they are far from truly dirty. Smelling like sweat and grease doesn't mean you're unhygienic either, just that you work for a living.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I worked for several years as a manager at Denny's and Wendy's in MA and NH.

I'm talking about people who wouldn't wash their hands after taking a shit, not people
    who skipped deodorant. I couldn't convince half the cooks that they couldn't dice up
    raw chicken and then cut a sandwich with the same knife, even if they did wipe the blade
    on that towel they'd been wiping their hands and everything else with for the last three hours.
    I once had to stop a dishwasher from drying dishes with the same handi wipes he had just used
    to tidy up the urinals in the men's room. I had another dishwasher in a different store who I had
    to remind to use soap and scrub his hands rather than the rinse under hot water he was giving them
    after he had just used his bare hands to empty a toilet of shit (after some drunk ripped it out of the
    floor and then people kept using it), he was headed right back to handle people's dishes and silverware.
    And I would keep bagging the same people over and over, they would rather get spoken to on a
    regular basis rather than wash their damn hands. It was a constant problem I had to deal with.

ducnut likes this.
  14. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Mentioned in the other thread, but there are some plans being proposed, by people with influence and ability to resolve some of those issues.

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3rd world folk?

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Yecccch! :Puke:

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I feel so bad for small town single mom working as a waitress. They are screwed.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Could’ve used the hundreds of millions in wasted campaign funds to do good for a LOT of people in this country.

19. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Minnesota shutting down all restaurants tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

Collector cars and motorcycles go on sale cheap. I have friends who have collections that are their major financial assets because they "always" go up in price. Got calls from two of them offering cars they said market was $70-$100k at about 20% off, but still three times market price of ten years ago, they are dreaming.