1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northern Atlanta suburbs

Discussion in 'General' started by Texracer85, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah but if you live north of town you're that much closer to the best part of GA - the North Georgia "Mountains" and all the roads therein....

[​IMG]

2. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

SugarHill is in between Suwanee and Buford. Cross roads are Hwy 20 and Hwy 23.

Choices can be: Dacula, Buford, Suwanee, Sugar Hill, Duluth, Cummin and numerous others are all within a 15 mile radius.

Some of the School systems are North Gwinnett, Dacula, Buford, Collins Hill, South Forsyth, Duluth

[This message has been edited by R Hood (edited 01-07-2002).]

3. emeyer

emeyer Well-Known Member

I lived in Powder Springs for almost 10 years. We liked it. 45 min to downtown Atl. Good schools, etc. Da hood was startin to move in though. As far as Douglasville goes, The cost of housing is reasonable but the schools are a little toooo red neck for me. To graduate, you must have at least 3 teeth left and be able to drive a tractor, kiss your sister and chew tabacky all at the same time.
    If your anywhere on the North-East side of town...Good luck with traffic.
    Kennesaw is a good location.
    I'm back up North now and I do miss the year round riding and pot holeless roads.
    Atlanta is a fabulous city though. I think the thing I miss the most is Papa Deaux (spelling ?) cajun restaurant. That was the best food I've ever had.
    Now I'm looking out my window at 6" of snow which will probably hang around until May. Oh well!

4. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

Is a fur piece far???

And as a nurse, chances are she'll be doing something like 7-7, or 10-10...she misses houston rush hour completely now.

south side is a no, in town is a no, looks like we'll be in l'ville or woodstock or one of the neighboring cities to them, but we still have 5-7 months until we show up, so there is time. thanks everyone.

Tex

5. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Good, that's plenty o' time to stock up on the ammo [​IMG]

6. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

I look out the window at the Marriot Marquis downtown. Of course I rent, and it's a Japanese rent at that.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

OK, here ya go ... you owe me for this. :)

First map is for your wife. Sugar Hill is about 30 miles from St Joe's (Saint Joesph's Hospital). It and Northside Hospital are at the intersection of I-285 (Beltway) and GA400. Northside has a very new Womens Center, featuring Nortel networking hardware and IBM PC's. Don't ask me why I know this ... it brings back bad memories. :-(

[​IMG]

Now ... the important stuff.

30188, Woodstock: Traxxion Dynamics

30060, Marietta: Marietta Motorsports (1-888-FASTLAP)

30076, Roswell: Roswell Fun Machines (Honda, Suzuki); Atlanta Motor World (Yamaha, Kawasaki)

30340, Atlanta/Doraville: Yamaha Of Doraville

Braselton: Road Atlanta

[​IMG]

Hope this helped ...

8. As much as I dig where I live (Woodstock) I am afraid you may not really understand what we mean by commuting in the ATL. 30 minutes will only get you from the surface streets of your subdivision to the freeway!!! Your wife would have to be a trooper and really be willing to sacrifice an agonizing commute to live in the country. And it doesn't matter what community you choose, it will all be bad. It sounds like you may have an advantage in that she may work some odd (not commute time) hours as a nurse.

9. PKS

PKS Happiness is belt fed!

That's the only way I can stand the commute from Stone Mountain to Suwanee....I work odd hours and miss all of the rush hour traffic. I've been up there in the morning rush before, and it takes you 15 minutes just to get across the bridge from one side of 85 to the other!

Normally it takes me about 30 minutes, but if I get stuck there until after 6:30 am, then it takes me close to an hour to get home. I try not to let that happen too often. [​IMG]

10. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

First of all, Rick, you are my hero. When i get there you are hired as my tour guide [​IMG]

And you are right Max, it looks like woodstock is going to be too far out in the wrong direction. I think Lawerenceville is pretty much the way we will go, at least for the first six months until we can spend time all over. We kind of know the area, like it, and will be close to "support" should we need anything from my in laws.

Jeni, Zane and I thank you all.. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Texracer85 (edited 01-07-2002).]

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd go near relatives at first too, especially if you rent for a while until you get a feel for things. One important thing though is that L'ville to 400/285 will take longer than even for me coming from Canton, the traffic is just that much worse on 85.

While Max is right about it taking time to get from where he lives to the interstate, it would take about the same amount to get to St. Joe's from his house going cross country. North/South sucks on this side of town but East/West or angles aren't too bad at all.

12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

One thing I forgot to mention ... avoid living on the west side of town if you commute on the top side of the Beltway (I-285), as you will have the sun in your face every morning and afternoon. It's a real bitch, especially in late Fall and Winter time.

To monitor Atlanta traffic from Texas, use the following link:
    http://www.georgia-navigator.com/traffic/

13. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

SpecialEd: we're sorta neighbors. How's you're garage situation?

Drebber

14. SpEd

The garage is OK. Two car. The only problem is a place to put the damn trailer. Got any space? The owners of the property originaly said it would be ok and then changed their minds, bastards. Right now it is at my wrenches house, yes thats wrench not wench, although they would almost be the same. We are looking for aplace to keep it. I think I have the owners convinced to pony up $100 a month for us to keep it somewhere. I went for the angle of better to only lose 1000 for the rest of the year rather than 15000.

15. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

No trailer space here. I live on a cliff and 3 1/2 car garage is full.

Sorry...

Drebber

16. SpEd

It was worth a shot. Do you head downtown much? We have the restaurants here mapped out pretty well. The small ones that no one has ever heard of are the current favorites. Shoot me an email if you want to head out for dinner with Shelli and I sometime. We are always looking to meet people off of the BBS. [email protected]

17. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

Sometimes that backfires and you end up meeting folks like me. [​IMG]

I still haven't figured out how to tap into your computer from morpheus, and its ticking me off. its like starving and the door to the buffet is locked.

18. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

I used to live in Houston and that traffic was bad. I hated commuting from Katy to U of H downtown. I-10 still sux it still is only 3 lanes before you get inside 610 [​IMG]

Working odd hours has worked for me for the past 5 yrs. I get to work at 6:00am and leave before 3:00pm. I hate getting up but just to avoid the traffic on GA400 is worth it. I think anywhere if you leave after 6:30 you are getting a late start. Traffic doesn't die down probably after 9:00 or 9:30am.
    I think the traffic is worse on 85 than on 75. I used to commute from Acworth to Sandy Springs and never hit the interstate, it was all back roads and it was quicker.

19. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Yeah, everyone outside Ga thinks we all talk like that, so I didn't want ya to be disappointed. 5-7 months? Better hurry we may be full of them northern folks by then.... [​IMG]

Lee Fields
    LEEnSV #884

[This message has been edited by WERA881 (edited 01-07-2002).]

20. Texracer85

Texracer85 Guest

How is houston compared to Atlanta traffic wise?