1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ninja 400, cost to track-ready?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Heeltoeclutch, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Heeltoeclutch

Heeltoeclutch Member

Hi all, thanks in advance;

I'm just starting out on the track, planning to do more and wanting to get a Ninja 400 for my first serious learning bike. However - I want to use it on the road too for canyons etc. so it must be titled.

I haven't seen many track 400s in my area that are titled (SoCal), mostly just street bikes people are selling. (Possible I don't know where to look)

As such, what is the approximate cost to get a stock, street Ninja 400 into a decent track learning machine? I know I would want different clipons, hear that people don't like the brakes or rear suspension much, but not sure how much that matters for learning.

Appreciate all wisdom and suggestions. Thanks!

2. mattys281-2

mattys281-2 Well-Known Member

If you’re just getting started on the track, I’d say the best money you can spend is on coaching.

there should be a suspension guy at the track that can get you a good setting in the stock components for your body weight and skill level.

maybe get some track bodywork and frame savers, as oem bodywork can be very expensive to replace, but 90% of the improvements you’ll see is between your ears.

unless budget is no concern, then you can just go nuts with everything

Heeltoeclutch likes this.
  3. Heeltoeclutch

Heeltoeclutch Member

Thanks mattys, budget is certainly limited. I will plan to invest in coaching in the future.

My main choice right now is - do I buy a stock street Ninja 400, which I can get for $3k-4k around here (salvage title), or try to find one that is more track-prepped, which might be better in some way for learning or reliability...?

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've seen some MotoAmerica B bikes that were good deals. Bodywork, good suspension and a stock motor. That's a good TD set up.

Shenanigans and mattys281-2 like this.
  5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yeah, cheapest way to build a bike is to buy a used race bike.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I tried to explain this to a friend a couple years ago. A competitive prepped 400 with spares goes for~ $8000ish. You may get a clean stock bike for $3500ish but you will be spending the money to get the rest of the package.
    Wheels & suspension are the lions share.

7. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

for starting in track a stock 400 will be fine.

Budget friendly upgrades. norton can help you out gsxr rear shock (norton sell brackets) rear set risers and swap to 15 or 20 weight fork oil. this is a huge step in getting you set up. Tape the lights and saftey wire the oil drain ,fill and filter

8. mattys281-2

mattys281-2 Well-Known Member

im sure you could find a good deal on a used bike that already has some upgraded goodies. I’d just take the time/money to give it a real thorough inspection, and maybe get a mechanic to check it out.

im personally very hesitant about used race bikes. Everybody says they changed the oil every other day, never been down, etc etc but I know a couple guys that have bought clapped out lemons in the past….

I personally prefer to start with something that I’m certain has never been abused, especially if it’s pulling double duty for street and track. It may cost a little extra, but you know what you have.

just my .02. Best of luck!

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I bought a clean title partially prepped 2018 in August it had bodywork, engine covers, steering damper, clip-on and slip on. I did ohlins front suspension. Gsxr shock, rearset, air filter. Chain/sprockets, Norton transmission kit, brake lines, brake pads and a few other things. I should have waited and bought a newer on already prepped and saved a few bucks

No Brakes likes this.