1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie on board.

Discussion in 'General' started by r0cketrider, May 13, 2002.

1. r0cketrider

r0cketrider Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I am a REAL newbie to the racing scene, as a matter of fact I am in the middle of purchasing my first race/track bike and would like to hear from the knowledgable people on this board.

I recently have come across what appears to be a very nice Bandit 400 race-prepped bike for a reasonable price. Is this a good bike to get started on in WERA and racing in general? How competative could the bike be? (Notice I did not say me...I have some work to do!). :D

I am just curious. I have been looking at GS500's, F2/F3's, etc. Boy they are tough to find! LOL

Thanks.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Welcome new dude. I've never raced a Bandit 400 but I've owned two, and unless that bike you're looking at is so cheap that you can't pass, I recommend you pass. I won't stand a chance against FZR400s, and those get stepped all over by SV650s.

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Welcome aboard $hithead! :D Be careful, these guys go for the juggler on us newbies!!!!!

In all seriousness, this is the BEST place you could come to find out REAL answers to real questions. (well, from most of them anyhow);) Ya may have to wade thru some of the BS, but as much as youre on that OTHER board:rolleyes: im quite sure you know how to do that.

See ya soon bro!

4. r0cketrider

Thanks Todd. Kim is doing the "roll eyes" thing at me now whenever I talk about a track bike. Of course she also has that little smile that tells me she will let me get one. I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

5. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Uh oh!!!!!!!!!
    I recognize that user name!!!!!!!!
    There goes the neighborhood!

I thought you were going to put the Mille on the track and make a run for the HW Twin title?

You guys need to head north and let me get you hooked on SV650s!!!!!!!!!

6. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

Are you buying Tommy's Bandit400? Its a nice bike-he's done a good job with it.

7. thane

thane Well-Known Member

I've seen one bandit go like gangbusters at Summit Point. Most of them are slow. So what if you get spanked. Go learn to race. Your less competitive bike will encourage you to ride harder. Spend money on a track school or two. Learn! Ride hard! Good.

thane

8. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

Go with the Bandit if it is cheap enough and the move up from there. I'm assuming this bike is less than $1500?

Papa's argument is sound but a different school of thought. A guy I know races a beat up old gs500 and spends 0 cash on it and has a blast. He has a gsxr750 but is smart enough not to bring it to the track to wad it up.

9. r0cketrider

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Hey Huey! Sorry bro the Mille is staying OFF the track. I had to replace a clutch lever the other day (JUST the lever...you know the shiny thing-a-ma-bob ;)) and that alone was $70 bucks. I love my Italian steed but she is a high priced mistress when she gets hurt.

10. exmutant1

exmutant1 Well-Known Member

Thane,
    Who was that guy on the Bandit (we are talking about the one with the high tech front number plate/ air deflector, he leaned it over until it was almost upside down?)

11. thane

thane Well-Known Member

To be honest, I really don't remember who it was. All I remember is that he raced the bike about two years ago or so. He pitted close to the old bathrooms in the pits at Summit. And he went like stink.

thane

12. RandyD

RandyD Zoinks!!!

I'm not Thane, but the rider your asking about is probably Ronald Gilbert. He had one seriously fast Bandit, but he's the only guy I know who had success with one.

13. exmutant1

exmutant1 Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    I was just curious. I think I raced against both Thane and RandyD a few years ago in clubman. (Yellow, then orange and white EX) Are you still racing? I am unfortunately temporarily retired. (read Broke) :D

14. RandyD

RandyD Zoinks!!!

Wow, if you raced against both of us at Summit in Clubman that was a few years ago. I've since "graduated" to an SV, but I still miss those days in clubman on the RZ and EX. Its still a funky class with so many different types of bikes. What was your number?

15. r0cketrider

Hey exmutant...I apologize for all the PM's...stupid character limit! :mad: :D

16. RandyD

RandyD Zoinks!!!

And to answer the original question, if the Bandit is in good shape, with upgraded suspension parts, it could be a good buy. Some engine mods would help a lot too since the bar has been raised since the bike was made. If you can't get it for less than a good FZR400 or Hawk, you might want to keep looking. It'll be a fun bike, just not very competitive.

17. r0cketrider

Randy...here is what he sent me:

Let me give you a little more data about the bike and the various upgrades
    and modifications:
    * Front forks re-valved and re-sprung by Lindemann.
    * Stock single front brake rotor and master cylinder.
    * EBC double "H" front brake pads, w/ a spare set.
    * AirTech RC-30 Bodywork, modified to include required 3 quart fluid
    capture belly pan.
    * GSXR clip-ons.
    * Custom fabricated rear sets.
    * Braided front brake line. (Russell, I believe)
    * Metzler Rennsport race tires (last weekend was the first run on these
    tires - Supersoft front and soft rear)
    * Stock wheels: 3" x 17" front and 4" x 17" rear. I have a 4.5" dia. rear
    if you would prefer. Given the 17" diameters, it makes it easy to buy the
    best race tires for the bike.
    * Fox rear shock - re-valved and re-sprung by Lindemann. Ride height
    adjustable.
    * Yoshimura full exhaust system.
    * Spools welded onto stock rear swingarm for race stand. (non-spool race
    stands do not hold an oval section swingarm very well - so I had a shop weld
    on the spool holders)
    * The bike is titled and I have all of the street stuff.
    * The thing runs very well. The motor is all stock.
    * The bike handles exceptionally well.
    * Oil and filter changes every three race weekends with Golden Spectro.

Pic: http://www.prime-nexus.com/400.jpg

He wants $1600.

Something else too...something intangible. Just in dealing through emails with this gentleman I get the feeling he is a straight up and honest fellow. This is a big plus for me since I do not want to get stuck with someone else's problem.

18. RandyD

RandyD Zoinks!!!

Is the bike nearby where you live? See it in person if you can. A stock Bandit is not going to be competetive, but if you want a good bike to learn on that doesn't cost much, go ahead and buy it. You'll at least give those guys on the GS racebikes a run for their money. You won't find a clean, race-ready bike any cheaper. Then you could move to a different bike after you've learned to race.

However, I still recommend that you find a Hawk or FZR if you can afford it. And a stock Hawk is clubman legal now, and there are still people that race them. That has always made a big difference to me -- having a few other people that race the same bike makes for a good support group. :D

19. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Certainly is a nice lookin' little beastie, though!

You know what? Screw it! I say get it and come on out and play with us GS types. The whole point your first year is to go out and learn. A hard dice in the middle of the clubman pack will learn you just as much as a hard dice in the front. Just as long as you're having fun, who cares? ;)

20. Tracy S

Tracy S Well-Known Member

If that bike is close to you and in good shape, get it. It looks to have some great mods and is really affordable. How can you go wrong. If you decide to upgrade a month or two down the road, you shouldnt have a hard time unloading it for what you have in it.