1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Guitar question?

Discussion in 'General' started by coiz, Sep 15, 2006.

1. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about buying a guitar and learning how to play for some time now. I don't want to buy a $100 starter POS but I also don't need to spend a $1000 either. It looks like most guitars on Ebay go for about 1/2 the price from new. I have been reading up on them lately and it sounds like the Ibanez RG seires would be a good place to start due to their thin fast necks(not that I would know the difference). Any opinions on these or any other guitars for a newbie wanting to seriously learn how to play? I would rather spend a few more $$$ now and have some decent gear then starting with junk, making it harder to learn, and spending more money to upgrade later. Is there any reason not to buy a used guitar from a pawn shop or on Ebay?

I was originally looking at getting a new RG120 from Guitar Center for $200 but it quickly bacame obvious I could get a lot more guitar (RG3-500 series) for just a little more money buying used on Ebay. So is the Ibanez what I'm looking for? School me, please!

:rock:

2. Parkerson

Parkerson Kabahm

well starting off do you want an electric or an acoustic?

3. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

Everything I have read and the people I have talked to said to buy and learn on the type of guitar and music you want to play, so that would be electric. I've also read in several spots that acoustic guitars can be harder to learn on. Either way I want to go with electric.

4. sln

sln Slow LWT newb

Check PM.

The Ibanez Wizard necks are unbelievable.

5. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

RG's are great, I have an RG350 DX, an RG470 and an RG570EX. They compare very favorably to my Jem. If you like thin Jackson style necks with big frets you'll like 'em. Slightly flatter than a Jackson, but very similar. Solid basswood body.

You can get an RG dirt cheap on eBay, the 350 or 450 is a great starter, decent pickups, decent bridge (some say it's crap, but they're full of it ;) ).

6. Parkerson

Parkerson Kabahm

I actually don't own an electric except for a cheap squier strat but I've played a bunch of different ones my buddies have and I really like the Epiphone Les Paul's. They have a few different types in about the $500 + range.

7. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

I am watching a ton of them on Ebay right now. There is a RG270 for $200 buy it now but there is also a nice RG370 on there too. So your suggestion is to buy at least a RG350 or better? The 550's are sweet but look like a few more bill$.

8. Knarf Legna

Gimme a few, I'll poke around and see what's up there.

9. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

That's what one of my friend's has and he likes it a lot. It's a good looking guitar but I can't play well enough to notice a difference between the way they play. I must say I like the style of the RG's better than the Les Paul's though.

10. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

Thanks!

11. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

IMO - Buy the absolute BEST (insert brand name) you can afford.. and treat it like you'll ever get another, you wont be sorry. It's realy nice to be able to play it before you buy.

As you progress you'll develop a style and a gravitate towards what feels good in your hands..

Stick with it and good luck!

12. Knarf Legna

Nice 350DX, looks all original and in excellent condition. Prolly wouldn't go more than $280 for it.

Another 350DX, sounds almost new from the description. With the HSC it's worth they BIN price. The missing truss rod cover is widely available and cheap.

Upgraded RG550. Looks pretty cool, don't care for the PAF Pro in the neck, but that's just me.

Nice upgraded RG520QS. A steal at that price, worth $700 easy. If you don't bid on that one I might. ;)

Very clean RG370. Not my favorite, but if you can get it under $200 it's a buy.

If cosmetics aren't important to you, here's a killer deal, RG550 with Evo's. That's as close to a Jem as you're gonna get. Worth $500 easy.

Another nice RG570. $450 tops.

And another RG570.

I'd pass on everything else up there, either asking too much or kinda junky. Just be aware that if you buy off eBay you'll probably have to have it set up for you, not expensive, but worth it. Good luck!

13. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I dunno, the Ibanez necks don't feel right to me..but I'm no xpert...You can also get a Mex strat for about 380.00. I have one it's decent, not as good as my 40th aniversery strat.

Also, I wouldn't get a bottom of the line geetar, I found that out quick, they don't stay tuned ect.

On another note...Hey Frank, my son just aquired a Peavey Classic VTX 120 watt amp, I believe it was made in 1981. You have an opinion re: those..?

14. bb810

bb810 Well-Known Member

I agree with STT Guy. Put forth some money. Play yer butt off. Later on, if yer just not feelin' it, put it up on ebay. If you''ve taken good care of it, you'll be able to sell it for a good price. Playing an acoustic is a great way to build up finger strength and quickly build your calluses. But if you wanna rock while yer throwin' a few back, pick up an electric. Playing an electric without power is a great way to practice and it doesn't bother folks around you. Another thing, don't waste time/money on a solid state amp. Yes, they are good for what they're made for...practicing quietly. Pick up an amp with tubes so you can jam while yer friends are being loud and obnoxious/drunk. I love my tele. But I also love my Dobro, my 335, and my strats!
    -Brett

15. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

I got an Epiphone Dot semi-hollow body (ES 335 copy) so I don't always have to plug in (plus I used to love Alvin Lee). I like it fine but you can definitely tell the difference in quality (and sound) between the Epi and my Gibson Les Paul. Or my old Fender Strat for that matter. A nice guitar for the money though, no doubt.:beer:

16. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have heard a lot of people say to buy the best one I can afford. I can afford a $800-1000 guitar, I'm just not sure that I want too. This all started when I pretty much decided that I am going to get an Ibanez. So, I started looking at GSA60's in pawn shops figuring I would go the cheap route around $150 to learn. Then I noticed I could get a RG120 new for $200. Thinking to myself, if I'm going to spend $200, why not spend just a little more and get something nicer like a RG3xx series used off Ebay. Now everyone is telling me to buy the best one I can reasonably afford so I am leaning more toward the RG5xx series because they appear to be a big step up from the 300's but at what point does it stop? I could buy an Ibanez Prestige if I wanted to but is someone at my level really going to notice a difference or get any benefit from it? Keep in mind the current extent of my guitar skill is playing the opening riff to Rock You Like Hurricane, badly I might add. :D So I started off wanting to spend $200 and now I'm looking in the $500+ range. Which amp to buy will be a whole new thread.

I would consider myself to be pretty coordinated and I usually excel at things I am truely interested in. So I plan on keeping and playing this thing for many years. With that said, do I buy cheap, learn to play then upgrade once I have a clue or do I shell out the change now and learn how to play on a badass AX and keep it forever?

Maybe I should just get this and be done with it! ;)

17. Knarf Legna

First, dismiss any idea that the more you spend on a guitar the more it will be worth when you decide to sell it. Don't even make that a consideration. Except for rare cases, guitars are not investments, and you'll most likely lose money when you unload it. Anything worth investing in is already priced way higher than what you're looking to spend.

Second, there's not a huge difference between an RG350 and an RG550, for example, from a newbie player's point of view. The 550 has slightly better pickups (they're cleaner with better midrange) and depending on the year it might have a better bridge. Older 550's were made in Japan, and some like the build quality better. Other than that they're almost identical, and either one is a great starter guitar. My 350 is one of my favorite axes.

Everyone has their own opinion on this, mine is buy a decent guitar and play it until your fingers bleed. You don't need a high end guitar, it won't make much of a difference to you at this stage AFA learning, and there is no economic reason to buy one. Your first guitar WILL NOT be your last guitar, you'll have plenty of opportunity to get something better down the road if you find you enjoy playing. You'll also be in a better position to know what you want, what you like, and what you need for your own personal playing.

Take the extra money and buy a metronome, a good electronic tuner, a better amp, and maybe some electronic gear to play backing tracks and you'll have more fun and learn a lot more. And practice, a lot.

18. Hammer 4

Frank...no comment on the Peavey amp...? :(

19. Knarf Legna

Ooops, sorry, missed that. Never heard or played one but the specs look good. I have 2 Peaveys and they're both rock solid. First amp I ever owned I still have, Peavey Backstage 50. Solid state, but has a remarkably nice clean channel and decent reverb for a small practice amp. Also have a Peavey Prowler which is the best 1x12 I've ever played. And I'm almost certain my next amp will be a Peavey JSX to sit next to my Carvin.

How are the eardrums holding up with that thing? :D

20. Hammer 4

what...?? :D

I TRIED to play it at 1 1/2....too loud, but it does have mucho punch..:up:

BTW, he got it for 140.00..:D