New 6.7L Cummings Diesel/Dodge

Discussion in 'General' started by RFairbairn, Nov 22, 2007.

1. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

I won't say much, but regen isn't the only time fuel is wasted. Notice how much quieter the 6.7 is compared to the older 5.9. You can thank shitty fuel economy on the epa and there new emissions regulations.
    Also, afaik, the bugs have been pretty much hammered out of the 6.7l. Atleast I haven't heard of any in a while.

2. MNellis

MNellis Well-Known Member

Right! Lessee, my fine DuraMax has been through two heads, 1 transmission, many, many injectors on my nickle, One complete set of injectors (on GM's nickle), 2 sets of U joints, one complete engine at 250K miles ($13.5K installed), more injectors on the new motor (GM's nickle), then even more injectors on my nickle (actually about $4K) and now I need even more injectors.

Care to guess what kind of injectors I'll get if I fork over another $5K for a complete set of injectors? Yup, another set of those fine Bosch injectors that will be almost guaranteed to fail withint 100K.

Oh, and don't let me forget the injector pump ($1800) at 140K.

There's a lot more but you get the idea. Take your DuraMax propaganda somewhere that doesn't have any experience.

If you want even more Duramax injector stories just visit http://dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
    and do a quick search on "injector problems" . Be sure to bring your dinner, it'll be a long night of reading.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  3. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

KA-BLAMMM!! on your Chebby Duraslack.... :moon:

4. g.mccormick

yeah, chevy (isuzu) did have a little problem with not having enough head bolts to keep headgaskets in the thing.

5. MNellis

MNellis Well-Known Member

I think I'd take underperforming head bolts over thousands of $$ in injectors every time I get comfortable.

6. g.mccormick

well with the dumamax, you would get the chance to replace both.

7. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I have been driving chevrolets since I was 5 or 6 in the hay fields. This is my first Dodge and I am impressed so far. I really, really miss my chevrolet seats though.

This one has taken everything I have thrown at it so far. I towed 15-18klbs for about 1200 miles in 5 days and it just sat up and ate. I like the motor. The truck isn't as pleasant as my chevrolet was but it isn't horrible. It is nearly a 4 ton truck.

8. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

IF you have the latest & greatest software pkg released about 3 weeks ago-if not-you're prob. going to have some issues

9. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

All diesel sold should be ultra low sulfur now. The 2007 Federal EPA changes mandated all diesel engine manufacturers (except Mercedes b/c they already met the '07 emissions) to change their emissions and run off the new ULSF. This brought a scare to the truck industry because people weren't sure how their '06 and before motors would work with the new fuel. Unfortunately, if you're a trucker in 2010 and you need to buy a new truck, the Fed EPA emission rules are going to be changing again and that's going to cause another price increase. One good thing that has come about of the new EPA rules is that with the new engines, the Nox coming out of the exhaust is only .02%.

Also, another cool thing is the new particulate filters...every so many hours of usage, you have to re-gen and burn off the shit in the filter. Basically, if you have a horizontal exhaust you'll be flame throwing about 1200 degrees. Actually, it's kind of scary if you're near a bunch of leaves or what not.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or in the case of the new Fords, near other cars....

I got lucky and got an old motor in the RV. There is plenty of non-ulsd diesel still out there for sale right now.

11. Cawk Star

Actually, from the trucks I've sold with the new particulate filters the fuel mileage has been the same if not better than before. It's also cool that the trucks are a lot quieter now too.

12. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'm starting to see that in my area too. I drive a 2005 so it's not a big deal for me to run LSD but if you drive a 2007+ I'd be careful.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My 7.3 Powerstroke in 99 got better mileage with a 4.10 rear end....

14. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

15. Joe Morris

US04 and US07 emissions were real doozy's. Alot of comprimises have to be made to deliver a quality engine. Unfortunately I'd say the OEM's would rather sacrifice your mileage than their liability on the drivetrain.

16. Joe Morris

There are places that can recondition the filters. I think that will be the most common path.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, can't really blame them. The worst problem really seems to be the whole power race they've gotten into with the light trucks, yes it's fun to do a burnout in a diesel but seriously, do you need to? My 7.3 was slower than my 6.0 but it really didn't make a difference in what I used the trucks for.

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'm beginning to wonder why a diesel. With fuel in my area being $4.50 a gallon for diesel. Fuel filters $70 which have to be replaced every 15k miles (once a year). 12 quarts of oil costing over $100.

It all adds up and make a big block gas motor so much cheaper to run and operate and unless you are towing 20k pounds...no different.

For the record I have a '04 F-350 with the 6.0L diesel.

19. Cawk Star

20. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i love my truck, i just cant afford to drive it, and i cant afford to sell it,lol. so the 6.0 doesnt get used so much now. :( :down: