1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to buy my soon to be 17yr old a car. $10k budget.

Discussion in 'General' started by njracer, May 13, 2024.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

or 12 :D
    Or ten as I actually have just under a grand in that SSEi as I went through and did real maintenance and things that didn’t need done… like changed the trans filter… first one I’ve changed since the 80s when I was burning up shift kitted stall speed converted TH400s with 5oohp street racing muscle cars…

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

According to who- JD Power? They might be all that, but I'll stick with the much longer track records of Toyota and Honda, and my personal and family history with a bunch of both.

ducnut likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Mostly just busting balls... if it's a nice car for the right price buy it. But I just can't wrap my head around an 11 year old Hyundai being worth $8K.

ducnut likes this.
  4. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

10K sounds way too high for something they will likely beat to hell. 5K and anything Honda or Toyota. Actually a well used Nissan Altima would work perfect also. Nothing RWD, first snow and they'll put it in the ditch. I'd also echo a 5-speed so they retain their man card down the road. FWIW, I jumped my dad's 87' Ford Taurus over some railroad tracks when I was 17-18 at 70 mph. Actually have it on VHS video. Somehow didn't die but did rip off the manifold on about the 8th jump. My buddy years ago converted it to digital years ago and put the Dukes soundtrack to it. Was very fitting. Teenagers can be terrifyingly stupid with automobiles.

smooth likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Are these posts from the same dude? :D

27 likes this.
  6. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Laugh all you want, Crown Vic police car in white. Reliable like an anvil, parts are plentiful and cheap. Buy one w/100k on it for 5-6k and put a stereo of his choosing in it.

beac83 and ducnut like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've been saying that for years. Honda and Toyota are just made better, and will last longer than a Hyundai or Kia.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Trying to get the kid a daily ass whooping? :D

A Prius is a soulless white appliance made for middle aged liberals who are middle management, hippies and Uber drivers. :D

Clay, borislav, ducnut and 1 other person like this.
  9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Bought my daughter a Black Range Rover. She's 14 but I wanted to leave enough time to fix everything.

10. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Buy him a truck. A mid 2000's Silverado with a 4.8 will last him forever and teach him about working on his own shit.

thrak410 and ducnut like this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Best advice yet. Plus he can work it if he wants to, part time job.

ducnut likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, besides it not being an suv, a music hook up and wanting a convertible what does he want in a car?

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

It’ll all break again by the time she’s licensed.

ChemGuy likes this.
  14. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

So, this will be a college graduation gift?

15. notbostrom

Again? It's hasn't been unbroken yet

pickled egg likes this.
  16. notbostrom

Birth of first child

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

They sure are. My daughter did a complete 360 barrel roll and escaped without a scratch. Isn't that what you want for your kids first car?:D

[​IMG]

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

that’ll toughen him up then!

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Wasn’t that in your own driveway? Or was that a different time?

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Incredible....glad the walked away. I'd like to see a Hyundai do that!

rd400racer likes this.