1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need general info for MVD at Mid ohio

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by racerdude413, Jan 17, 2012.

1. racerdude413

racerdude413 Well-Known Member

Ok i race with the VRRA and this year i am thinking of making the trip to mid-ohio for the MVD. I have a few questions:

-What do i need to buy as far as licenses? Do i need a WERA license? Do i need an AMA membership?

- What is the pit set up like? I believe there is no overnight camping in the Pit area, what do people with big rigs (travel trailers, RV's) do? I have a 21' toy hauler, do i need to pack up my bike and tools and move the trailer to the camping area every night? What do you guys do?

- When does the flee market start? What day can we show up in the Camping area?

2. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

You won't need a WERA licence unless you want to get WERA points. I assume that since you're only doing the one race it's not an issue. If you want to race more WERA events then buy the license. You will need the AMA membership.

Putting your toy hauler in your pits and leaving it there for the weekend is not an issue. Back in the day they didn't allow camping in the pits - unless you were in a self contained unit, and your toy hauler would have been allowed anyhow - but camping in the pits for racers is now fine.

The flea market officially starts on Friday. I usually make a run through there after I get set up on Thursday afternoon. Not everyone is open but quite a few are selling by then.

Craig

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What Craig said. On the license you just need a valid current license from any org.

4. racerdude413

Thanks guys

And i read no bicycles on grounds, I assume that is valid for the pits as well?

No pit bikes and no bicycles.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pit bikes are fine - in the paddock. Outside of the paddock they need to be licensed street legal vehicles or golf carts. I'd guess a Kawi Mule or other side by side ATV could be okay but call the track to be sure. No bicycles anywhere on the grounds. Even racers running just up the main road to go ride on the streets have gotten grief.

6. racerdude413

Ok thanks , the Mid-ohio website is confusing when it comes to the regulations, because they are directed at spectators, but some of them are aplicable to racers as well...

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, it's weird for sure trying to sort out the difference. Best bet for all round use at Mid-O is a golf cart. ou can go anywhere and do most anything.

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

except have fun. that is strictly prohibited at Mid-Ohio.

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

VMD was probably my favorite event of 2011. So much fun. WERA handling the show while AMA doing their thing. Good stuff.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They don't mind fun - but it has to be in the fan areas in the middle of the night. No fun allowed in the paddock :D

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We went to Mid-O for the 1993 IndyCar race and camped out for 3 days. This was the year that Nigel Mansell raced.

We are sitting around our fire at around 2:30am and all of the sudden we see 3 Brits in their underwear with Union Jack flags tied like capes....they all had baseball bats and started wailing on a 55 gal. drum like it just raped their sister. They went from drum to drum and beat the shit out of them all.

We all just stood around and cheered them on.

Good times!

12. racerdude413

What is the rules package used for that weekend?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It has it's own rules, kind of a modified version of AHRMA and WERA.

14. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

I can't believe no one has asked you what class you plan to ride. So what ya racing?

15. racerdude413

I ride a hawk 650, so GenX LW, and maybe vintage super twins...

16. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

:stupid:

17. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

You could likely have some fun in the STARS LW/MW classes with the SV's and such.

18. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Mongo - I thought the only golf cart usage allowed was the Mid-Ohio rented golf carts. And they ain't cheap.

I've always had luck getting around the grounds with my XR100 with my street bike license plate zip-tied to the rear fender.

Craig

19. racerdude413

Yes it will depend on the schedule and i cant run LW with my hawk, its not Supersport legal (no air box, different forks, slicks, alu subframe) so i would have to run MW, I still might do that...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly never thought about that, could be the case. Back to call the track to be sure before trying to run anything outside of the paddock.