1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new car recommendation <$25k

Discussion in 'General' started by theJrod, Apr 15, 2011.

1. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Time to buy a new (or pre-owned) car.
    The wife has a Mazda3 sedan that's been a great car, but it's too small for an infant seat (front seat has to be all the way forward for it to fit). Time to get something new.
    It'll be my daily driver too. I'd love a new WRX, but the backseat is too small still. Maybe an IS250? What does the bbs recommend?

Constraints:
    • <$25k
    • >25MPG
    • >2006 model year (pre-owned ok)
    • Backseat bigger than a Mazda 3
    I'm open to pretty much anything that satisfies the above.

2. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Mazda 6 four cylinder.

3. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

One of the newer Subie Outback suv's? The AWD might come in handy in WA.......

4. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

If you were looking at a WRX look for a used 08 and up Mitsubishi Evo 10 MR...Can be had for around 20-25k used and the twin clutch trans is a thing of car bliss...Not plush inside at all but the chassis is awesome..

5. theJrod

Anyone have an IS250 that can comment on the backseat space? I've only sat in the front seat of one.

Seems the TL and CTS are pretty good bargains right now, especially the ~2008 model years which have already taken the bulk of depreciation. We have a Nissan Armada for hauling/snow duty, so I'm ok with a RWD car.

The EVO would be great fun, but I don't think the backseat is any better than the Mazda 3.

6. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima. Good value, longevity and resale. And well within your price point :up:

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hyundai Sonata.

8. Italiantwin04

Italiantwin04 Well-Known Member

New body style Ford Taurus.

Forget that it says Taurus on the back and actually go look at one. They are a very nice car. I dropped my Expedition off for service and looked at one they had in the showroom and was amazed at how nice it was. Definitely not the same as the piece of crap it replaced.

9. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Honda CRV - good MPG, big back seat area, big door to get the kidlet in and out of, best resale in class, and it's a Honda... Oh yes room in back for bike bits, and can tow a small open trailer... Yes I have gone racing with one with room to spare...

Ron

10. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

You can buy a brand new one for less than $25k, loaded to the gills I could swear. 100k warranty too.

11. theJrod

Intriguing.... I just took a look at their website. Damn they've come a long way.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  13. Murcielago311

Murcielago311 Well-Known Member

IS250 back seat is probably just big enough for what you're looking for. How much longer will you have a rear-facing seat? My gripe with the 250 is it's pretty slow.

My previous ride was Evo X MR. Don't get that unless you want a new dollar sucking addiction. It was fun though.

Link to pic if you care: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jdj676s/carshow2010.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't recall the years, but I think the pre-08 IS's had horrible back seat room. They redesigned the front seat-backs to provide more space in the rear. My vote for a new family car is the new Hyundai Sonata. That thing is a homerun in just about ever catagory: style, room, gas mileage, warranty, price, etc.

15. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

They have, not that I own one but my parents do, and now thats all that they drive.

I used to rag my dad about it (he was a dyed in the wool "Buy American" guy forever) that you could scratch the paint on the Hyundai with your fingernail, and read the beer labels underneath. But that's not actually true, and I was stuck thinking like it was when Hyundai first showed up.

Now? The Sonata? Now they are actually a pretty nice car, and just about up there in Camry/Accord territory. Hell, my dad bought a second Hyundai (little 5sp Elantra) for commuting back and forth to work because his GMC half ton was a gas monster. So he parked the Elantra, racked up a bazillion miles, and never had a single problem with it.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Same car as the Hyundai Sonata, just different styling cues.

17. notbostrom

and cheaper with a longer warr

Kia and Hyundai = same company now

18. theJrod

The Kia came out to be about 1k higher than the Sonata, via build-your-own.

19. Hypnotiq

Hypnotiq Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Good thread Jared. I too was surprised by the Hyundai. As Im moving to Covington this weekend, I was vetting out keeping the Tahoe parked and finding a commuter for work days.

Anyone know the seat room on the lower cost Elantra? I have forward facing carseat I'll need to have in the back.

-Nico

20. notbostrom

with all the same stuff and the 274hp engine..? guess you can't go wrong either way