Navy Seal Vs Swat Team

Discussion in 'General' started by sptbk57, Jul 4, 2013.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan Who's the next Contestant?

The latter was what I meant. Seals have failed pj training.

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

There's far more inter-service training than most people will ever know...X branch service member not cutting the mustard on Y branch training isn't uncommon.

JBraun likes this.
  3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Watching Lone Survivor, one of the characters said that he had to pay the bills.
    It got me thinking, how much do these military special operation guys make (not concerned about SWAT)? I know they receive “ hazardous duty pay”. What’s their base salaries?

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It depends on rank, time in rank, and a few other factors. You can find a handy government chart that explains it all here.

speedluvn likes this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Pretty much, poverty level for enlisted.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But you do get room and board.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If you enlisted at 18, lived frugal as hell, ate on base/ship, worked part-time civilian jobs when possible, stayed single, and invested along the way, it's entirely achievable to retire a millionaire at 38. With healthcare for life.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gotta be smart and don't knock someone up or get married right away :D

10. auminer

My advice to every young man is to get a vasectomy on your 18th birthday.

Unless you can convince your parents to do it once your holster's loaded.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don’t they pay you more if you’re married?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah but doubt it's enough to offset the higher expense you have.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Jocko had some Green Beret guy on the podcast and someone wrote in a similar question. Both guys agreed the various groups are the best at what they specialize in, which can be vastly different. But there is nothing wrong with admiring these dudes for what they do. Better than worshiping some silly football team. IMO

kjohnson and ZimZam like this.
  14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Negative. I have several friends in spec ops and they do just fine. People get hung up on the base salary but that doesn’t tell the whole story.

15. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

I'm quicker to believe not finishing due to injury from jumping.After all of their training in the water,failure isn't the correct term.

Marcus Lutrell said that the only difference between all of the special forces is that the Navy spends lots more time in water.

16. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

You can get basic allowance for housing BAH/ basic allowance for subsistence BAS and move out of the barracks if you are married. You can pocket the difference of rent/mortgage and food cost.

A marriage is a gamble though. Deployments, field time/exercises, few job opportunities for spouses, constant moving to different bases put a strain on a relationship. If it doesn't work out (stats show this), the divorce will destroy you. I see it happen often when the marriage is for financial gain (usually both parties).

Marry to move out and marry for the benefits is not much of a foundation.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This. Very few are junior level enlisted, most have a decent education, and they all certainly have higher paying private sector jobs waiting for them when the get out. Plus there’s all sorts of support. There was a part in that Valor movie (I assume there’s a modicum of truth to it since the “actors” were active duty SEALS) where the chief asked if anyone was having stress or money issues and offered to take care of it. I also recall a story (maybe on Jocko) about guys requisitioning things like temperpedic mattresses.

JBraun likes this.
  18. Potts N Pans

PJ is a tough pipeline of schools/skills to pass. They basically have to be ready for anything. The go in to get whoever can't get out and the situation/environment can be anything. SEAL Teams and SF Groups each train for a specialty and deploy accordingly.

PJs have to be ready if and when any mission goes tits up.

19. auminer

I had a senior chief when I was stationed in Groton who did it right.

He and his high school sweetheart graduated, got married & went on their honey moon and then enlisted in the Navy. Both doing a 20 year stint doing exactly what I outlined above. They were not always stationed together, but the Navy detailer will work with you and your spouse to try and keep it close as best as possible within the needs of the Navy.

They were 2 years from retirement still in their 30s with (in 1990) well over a million net worth. Neither planned to have kids, their plan was to be freebirds & travel the world on a shoestring until they found a cheap paradise to plant roots in.

Damn, if I could have do-overs! :beer:

20. Potts N Pans

That is a rare example, but awsome to hear.

Many rush into the marriage to escape barracks or the town the military base is near (dependant benefits are a motivating factor). They dont really know each other before making the legal contract and often cant work through the problems...sometimes adding a kid to the mix as a fix (yikes) now going payday to payday!!

So the financial gain of housing money and other perks sail away as alimony and child support are added into the equation.

Guy in my first unit married a 17 year old girl. Her family was broke and she wanted the first ride out. He hated the barracks and jumped at the first one to say yes. The odds were stacked against them, and she was preggo once they moved into the on post house. This guy was getting out in a few months (22, no college, no real skill, with 2 mouths to feed) and she was now 18 (no HS diploma or skill, and new mom). Somehow they made it work and i think are still together.

I just watch the drama and wonder why these service members never follow their own advice on rushing into marriage for the wrong reasons.