1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpg to avi conversion problem

Discussion in 'General' started by jeppe, Feb 14, 2004.

1. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Here is the problem.
    Im trying to convert a mpg video clip I have taken with my digital camera to an AVI file, when i do that I loose all sound.

does anyone know anything abot this and maybe even have a solution for me?
    There will be a cold brew at VIR in march to to the one that can help me with this!!

Swede

2. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned that Im using quicktime 6. and an Imac

3. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

hahaha.... let me start you off....

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/convert

backgroud: I've spent the last 4 months trying to find a reliable and quick way to convert .vob to .mpg or .avi or anything but .vob....... mostly unsucessful...

4. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

www.doom9.com has alot of stuff, I never really looked to see how much of it (if any) applies to Apple.

I am not expert at it, and am still learning but I use DVD decrypter to rip it first, then AutoGK to convert it to avi. If I have to edit it, then I use VirtualDubMod which is part of AutoGK.

Adobe is supposed to be the best. I checked it out once and it seemed fairly complicated.

5. The Wood

The Wood Well-Known Member

Why on earth would you want to convert mpg to avi???? Avi is crap. You can't watch avi on a DVD player. You can only watch avi on your comp. I don't like sitting in front of my comp watching movies or any other lengthy video. I would rather burn it to cd and watch it on my DVD player. If I download something that is in avi, first I throw something because the file is useless to me in that format, then I have to convert it back to mpg or mpeg. Once that shit is finished, then I get to put it on cd and watch it in the comfort of my living room.

6. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

The reason I want to do this convesrsion is that the Imovie software removes the sound from the mpg files when i import then it doesnt do that with the .avi files

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

An easy way is to spend 29 bucks to upgrade QuickTime to QT Pro version and do "Export as" MPG-4.

Generally speaking, I-Movie is not a good converter/compression software.

Alex

8. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

I did buy the quictime pro upgrade and when exportins to avi or mov i still lost the sound, I never tried mpeg 4 though.
    Im not using imovies as a converter toll I use it to splice clips together add music etc.

9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Before exporting, go through the audio options screens and make sure to specify a compression settings for your audio track.

if you want, e-mail me a small segment of the clip and I can check it for you.

I think MPEG files do something funny to audio track, hence your problem with sound.

alex(@)ocdstudios(dot)com

10. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex.
    Ill try again tonight and if I dont figure it out Ill email you one of the clips I have been stuggling with!

Jesper (Swede)