1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting your spare set of tires...

Discussion in 'General' started by Vinny337, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Trying to get some ideas from those of you that have mounted your spare set of motorcycle tires in your trailer. Any feedback is much appreciated!! If you have pics please post them...Thanks in advance!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tires or rims or both?

3. Vinny337

Both with the tires mounted.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I usually throw a spare tire on the floor and throw the mounted tire/wheel on top of that :)

5. Vinny337

^^^^^^
    Ha, got it...so nothing fancy.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

[​IMG]

I believe it was piper907 that used to sell these handy tire stands. Someone posted a picture of a pipe thread connector in the trailer thread... the piece you mount on the wall looks like this
    [​IMG]

Then thread a piece of pipe thats a hair smaller than your wheel axle.

7. Vinny337

Pretty Cool, thanks Turbo.

8. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I don't have any pictures of my homemade tire/wheel mounts, but here is a description of what I did. I bought a standard "D" ring type tie down anchor....the kind that is made to flush mount in the floor or your trailer. I cut the "D" ring portion of it out and then took a Dremel tool and notched a 1/2" by 1/2" square "hole" in it, leaving the top part of it open......basically three sides of the square hole. I then bought a 1/2" carriage bolt about 10" long (you can always cut it off to the correct length), two 1/2" fender washers (they were thin, so I used two of them) and one of the 1/2" wing nuts. Once the tie down base was cut out to accept the carriage bolt sliding down into it, I mounted the base to the wall of my trailer at the right height so that the carriage bolt would go directly through the center of the motorcycle wheel, when I had a tire mounted on the spare wheel. So, to put a tire/wheel on it, the first thing you do is slide the carriage bolt through the wheel, where the axle would normally go. Then, set the tire/wheel up against the wall of the trailer and make sure that the carriage bolt slides down into the notched 1/2 by 1/2 square hole that you made in the tie down plate. Push the tire/wheel up against the trailer wall and slide on the flat washers, then spin on the wing nut and it is very secure. If you do it this way, the tire/wheel is actually sitting on the floor of the trailer and all the carriage bolt assembly is needed for is to hold it firmly against the wall........it really doesn't support any of the tire/wheel's weight.

9. Chad & Robyn

Chad & Robyn Well-Known Member

http://pitposse.com/folduptirerack.html

I use this. I have the 8 foot one, but with only 1 bike the 4 foot would be fine. I don't use the center pole, I just put a tie down around the wheels/tires to keep them in the rack from any bumps in the road. Works great!!

10. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

3 tires mounted on rims will fit on the trailers wheel-wells side by side. I stack 2 more on top of the 3 , and then 1 at the top. I end up with a pyramid of 6 tires laying flat against the wall. I use bungies in an X pattern to secure each one to the wall. All the weight is carried by the wheel well of the trailer.

I have a 4 foot rack mounted on the wall for rubber only... maybe the odd rim/rubber.

11. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

I use this, and it works great...

12. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I didn't have pictures when I posted earlier, so I went out and took a few, to better visualize what was written. So, since I can't edit the previous post, I'll just "re-post" the description, along with pictures.

I bought a standard "D" ring type tie down anchor....the kind that is made to flush mount in the floor or your trailer. I cut the "D" ring portion of it out and then took a Dremel tool and notched a 1/2" by 1/2" square "hole" in it, leaving the top part of it open......basically three sides of the square hole. I then bought a 1/2" carriage bolt about 10" long (you can always cut it off to the correct length), two 1/2" fender washers (they were thin, so I used two of them) and one of the 1/2" wing nuts. Once the tie down base was cut out to accept the carriage bolt sliding down into it, I mounted the base to the wall of my trailer at the right height so that the carriage bolt would go directly through the center of the motorcycle wheel, when I had a tire mounted on the spare wheel. So, to put a tire/wheel on it, the first thing you do is slide the carriage bolt through the wheel, where the axle would normally go. Then, set the tire/wheel up against the wall of the trailer and make sure that the carriage bolt slides down into the notched 1/2 by 1/2 square hole that you made in the tie down plate. Push the tire/wheel up against the trailer wall and slide on the flat washers, then spin on the wing nut and it is very secure. If you do it this way, the tire/wheel is actually sitting on the floor of the trailer and all the carriage bolt assembly is needed for is to hold it firmly against the wall........it really doesn't support any of the tire/wheel's weight.

I went out and took some pictures of the "stuff" to try and help someone visulize what I'm talking about.

This is one of the spare wheels, mounted on the right side of the trailer, at the back
    [​IMG]

This one is a close up of the front wheel, mounted against the wall of the trailer.
    [​IMG]

Here is the tie down plate that has been cut to remove the D ring and slotted to accept the 1/2" carriage bolt, and mounted to the trailer wall.
    [​IMG]

This one shows the very simple parts list......carriage bolt, two washers, and a wing nut
    [​IMG]

This one shows the carriage bolt sitting in the slotted out portion of the tie down base, waiting for the tire/wheel to be slide over it and the washers and nut put on. The wooden blocking that you see in this picture is to shim out the tire/wheel assembly away from the wall just a bit, so that the wheel rotors are NOT against the wall, just the tire itself.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

14. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Here's my old trailer.
    Threaded pipe just smaller than the axle, and threaded flange. All found at Home Depot.

[​IMG]

I'm still trying to figure out what to do in my new toy hauler though. Not willing to drill through the wall.

15. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Anybody have any pics/ideas to mount rims and wheels on an open trailer? I have the HF 4x8" and normally trow them in my truck but it would be nice to utilize the trailer for as much as possible.

16. Vinny337

Awesome, great ideas!!

17. Vinny337

X-rated thanks for the pics they helped...

18. 1dwn5up

1dwn5up Well-Known Member

The pit-posse one is something you can build w/ a few 2x4's then grab your axles or rim and head to Home Depot and head to the pipe section and get a piece with threading on it, and mount it up.

19. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

No problem..........I hope it helped!

20. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Some square stock, round pipe, and a welder

[​IMG]