1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting tires with Coca-Cola?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

200+hp Moto2? You've been mounting yours with meth!

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I paid no attention to the Moto2 part.

3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

See, that's the problem with meth... Focus Kenny, focus :P

4. Venom51

Meth is the bomb. I like to add, subtract, multiply and break into Mongo's house.. :D

5. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

I've noticed that tires spin on the rim whenever I use any kind of "tire lube" to mount tires (leaves a greasy slippery residue) (this is on a zx6r). I've switched switch to soapy water, and the tires no longer spin on the rim (much less slippery residue), never thought about using hairspray, or fucking coca cola! I have noticed with soapy water, the inside of the rim will corrode if you get too much soapy water on the inside (inside of rim has bare aluminum, and some scratches where the coating rubbed off)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I use a couple drops of dawn in a windex bottle with water now.... I did see some slip on my 1000 earlier in the year and since then I have just used water but have dry mounted the last set... No Spin thus far

7. billy_06evoix

billy_06evoix Well-Known Member

Owning a tire store and mounting tires daily, I would think Coke would corrode between the bead too bad. I know they are dismounting/remounting them like 5+ times a day (not including spare wheels,) but still... I wouldn't use it.

Seems like it would have the same effect as Fix A Flat. You wouldn't believe how many passenger wheels we see a day that has been eaten up with that shit. Hate that stuff lol.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd guess they have 2 things going for them - lifespan of the rim and they clean everything all the time including just the wheels with no tires.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

When I raced karts, we didn't use soapy water, because the moisture can create issues with pressure rise when the tire is heated. I don't know how to figure out whether that is an issue on larger motorcycle tires with more air volume.

I do know this is one reason people use Nitrogen in tires, to eliminate all moisture possible and reduce pressure increase when hot.

10. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

I watched the local HD dealer use a spray bottle while mounting tires, then use nitrogen to fill, kind of counter productive...

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Coke being amazing stuff...when I used to work at a pizza place, we'd use a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi to clean out the slop sink drain.....everything, including mop strings would get "digested" by that stuff. I've not had a single Pepsi since then.

12. Venom51

You know that body doesn't last for ever nor do you have a permanent lease on it. Might as well ruin while you have the time and access. :D

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I can't remember who made the video, but it was produced in a manner that was quite professional. I want to say it was a Dunlop video, but I can't be sure...

Anyway, they were using windex to lube rims for mounting dirt tires. Soapy water was also suggested, but Windex (or any alcohol-based cleaner) dries more quickly than the soapy water, and eliminates potential slippage problems when you need to install the tire, and then ride on it right away.

14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

If you add Mentos, you get the added benefit of a run flat

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

:up:

Counting 1&1 together maaaaan

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Cool fact.

17. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I watched the NoMar tech videos and they suggested lubing just the one outer lip that goes on first and then the inside of the top bead to mount the tire. That way one of the outer side of the bead is dry. I've been using that method for a while now with good success.... but I'm not mounting Moto2 tires either

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:crackup:

Kids these days. They have it easy.

Back in the island we used "guarapo.":D

The last time that I had fitment issues was on a roadbike (2002). I remember this because it was the night before the Sebring 12 bike ride. Just before midnight, I decided to do one more fitting of my equipment since I had not addressed earlier. I was suffering from food poisoning the entire day. As it always happning riding out of the garage and into the streets, I hear it, a puncture.

Luckily/unluckily, I found a Walmart and got me a pair of inner tubes. I could not get my tires back on. So, sitting in my garage drinking a coke, it came to me. :D

After the ride/race, I cut the tires off. I have never, ever, ever put another racing slick on a mountain bike rim.

19. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

:beer:

Ha, that would probably work too.
    How do they make it in Cuba?
    The stuff I had in Col was panela, water, lemon and then slightly fermented.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I could see using rum and coke when you're having a really tough time with a tire.
    Don't put it on the tire.